VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Flat Feet

Rate this question

RIVER RAT

Question

I was granted 0% SC for Bi-lateral flat feet on appeal but never actually had a VA comp and Pen exam. I had my MSR, VA progress notes and a couple independent medical opinions. Oh and I had my pediatrician review her records on me and she wrote a nice letter saying I never had flat feet nor had she treated me for flat feet and she was my doc from birth until I joined the service. My entrance physical states that my feet were normal.

I appealed the 0% rating because I have pain, swelling, over pronation, Posterior tibial tendon dysfunction and plantar faciitis. I have used all kinds of orthotics, heel wedges, and heel cups. Should I be worried at all about losing my 0%.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

you were awarded 0% because you have mild symptoms relieved by built up shoe or arch support.

an award of 10% will require moderate symptoms; weightbearing line over or medial to great toe, inward bowing of the tendo achillis, pain on manipulation and use of the feet, bilateral or unilateral

Severe objective evidence of marked deformity (pronation, abduction, etc), pain on manipulation and use of accentuated, indication of swelling on use, charestic callosities. With these symptoms a rating of 20% shall be awarded for unilateral and 30% if the symptoms exists bilateral

When you have or experience these symptoms, go to your doc and get them annotated in your medical recorrds.

Also, you have to have all the symptoms for the next higher evaluation! If you only have one, they will rate you at the next lowere award which in this case is 0%

38 CFR section 4.71A, disability code 5276

I have never heard of anyone losing a 0% raating.

hope this helps

Edited by meghp0405

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I have opposite problem of very high arches which results in the same sorts of problems: PF, over pronation, problems standing for long periods without pain etc. I never noticed it until I was wearing army boots on some of those marches to the rifle range. I thought everyone's feet hurt like hell. I had surgery on one foot and I would never recommend that to anyone.