VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spouse In Room For Exam

Rate this question

SueEdel

Question

My MIL would like to be in the room for the upcoming C&P for my FIL. He suffers from some mental health issues related to his service in the Korean War. Is this always permitted? Can they deny her entrance? Any advice? She wants it in writing that she can go in with him. Is there documentation that I can find for her that states this?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

No, there is no requirement that they must allow this. Some will and some won't, as it depends on each doctor. Generally, any physical exam they would probably allow but might have a problem w/a psyche exam, as the patient may not speak freely, w/the spouse present. jmo

pr

He is 86 years old. She is about 6 years younger. He has dementia, anxiety etc. She is part of every mental health visit at the VA clinic. I read that some medical examiners welcome the spouse. Just wasn't sure if there was any ruling that allowed spouse.

• HadIt.com Elder

Whoo Boy!

The Veteran is likely to be legally incompetent. The C&P examiner may or may not allow a family representative.

A key issue is who is handling the veteran's finances. If the VA declares the veteran incompetent, (As is likely will)

The VA's fiduciary scheme is very likely to "kick in". There are a heck of a lot of gotchas that can occur.

I'd suggest that there should be a court appointed guardian/custodian, so that some of the VA fiduciary program's

impact might be better controlled.

ive never had a problem bringing my wife in to a cp exam, nor me going to one of hers yet.