VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doc Said I Don't Have Sleep Apnea, But Alpha-Delta Sleep

Rate this question

pilgrim01

Question

Hello, all! I recently had a sleep study done because my wife said it seems that I stop breathing while sleeping. Well, the sleep study revealed that I do not have sleep apneam but that I have alpha-delta sleep. The doctor said it is due to chronic pain. I hae degerenative arthritis in my lower back and my right ankle. My back aches all the time. I am on medication. I am 70% disabled. Can I make a claim to increase my current rating for this new "alpha-delta sleep"? Has anyone even herad of it? I have googled it and have seen sites talking about it.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just off the cuff, if the alpha-delta sleep is a condition secondary to conditions for which you are service connected, it ought to fly. Sounds like an uncommon term, and you might want to come in with a very solid outside opinion showing the connection between this new condition and whatever you're service connected for now along with a very good description of what the condition is.

With a solid nexus statement from a doctor SC should be attainable. The real battle will be what rating code will they rate by analogy to. If SA is used they will probably use the 30% daytime solomence. In the medical opinon your doctor should provide detail on what the medical condition is doing to you and what the long term consequences will be (does this cause degeneration of the nerves, stress on organs, impead thought process)?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This might be a long shot, but ask your doc about fibromyalgia. In some cases, wearing CPAP or BIPAP can get you past the alpha intrusions, which are linked to fibro.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello, all! I recently had a sleep study done because my wife said it seems that I stop breathing while sleeping. Well, the sleep study revealed that I do not have sleep apneam but that I have alpha-delta sleep. The doctor said it is due to chronic pain. I hae degerenative arthritis in my lower back and my right ankle. My back aches all the time. I am on medication. I am 70% disabled. Can I make a claim to increase my current rating for this new "alpha-delta sleep"? Has anyone even herad of it? I have googled it and have seen sites talking about it.

I would file for an increase, now. If you're not working I would request TDIU. jmo

pr

I did some research and the doc notes actually state that I averaged 2 apneas plus hypopneas per hour and it was normal to have 0 - 5 per hour. It goes on to say that "Alpha intrusion into non-REM sleep (alpha-delta pattern) consistent with his history of lower back pain".

In their ASSESSMENT, it states, "Alpha intrusion into non-REM sleep consistent with the patient's history of chronic musculoskeletal pain".

In the CFR, under 5025 Fibromyalgia, it states, "With widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with or without associated fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, paresthesias, headache, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, anxiety, or Raynaud's-like symptoms:

- That are constant, or nearly so, and refractory to therapy - 40

- That are episodic, with exacerbations often precipitated by environmental or emotional stress or by overexertion, but that are

present more than one-third of the time - 20

- That require continuous medication for control - 10

Note: Widespread pain means pain in both the left and right sides of the body, that is both above and below the waist, and that affects both the axial skeleton (i.e., cervical spine, anterior chest, thoracic spine, or low back) and the extremities.

Do you guys think I would I be looking at possibly the 20% or I am stretching this? Thanks, for your opinions/suggestions!

Edited by pilgrim01