VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Got A C&p With Nuro For Headaches?

Rate this question

jesusplay

Question

I served about 3 years. Only mentioned headaches in my mental health appointments and it's hardly documented. I also brought it up once and the doctor just gave me tylenol, which hardly worked so I self medicated. I brought it up again during my discharge exam. The doctor wrote "headaches are attributed to tension and are often resolved by rest".

I feel my neuro exam might be a waste of time and lead to a denial for lack of history.

Does the person handling my claim think I have a legit claim and that's why I got a C&P for it or is it just protocol to schedule C&Ps for all problems?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I served about 3 years. Only mentioned headaches in my mental health appointments and it's hardly documented. I also brought it up once and the doctor just gave me tylenol, which hardly worked so I self medicated. I brought it up again during my discharge exam. The doctor wrote "headaches are attributed to tension and are often resolved by rest".

I feel my neuro exam might be a waste of time and lead to a denial for lack of history.

Does the person handling my claim think I have a legit claim and that's why I got a C&P for it

or is it just protocol to schedule C&Ps for all problems?

Apparently during development, there was enough mention of the issue in your SMR's

to merit scheduling a C&P exam.

Be sure not to miss it - in fact, leave early for it.

Try to mention when they started, all active duty prior treatment and curent, how they effect

you daily life now, how often you have them and what you have to do while

you have them / or to help rid yourself of them.

When I discharged three years ago, I transferred all the issues listed on my separation physical to the VA claim form. And they scheduled C&Ps for each and every one. Some I became SC at 0%, some were denied SC. Two totalled up to 60%. Now I'm back trying to raise some of the precentages and address one decision that was wrong.

It's hard to say how they'll address your headaches. From what you've described, there isn't a whole lot of documentation or a terribly firm diagnosis. You may wind up pursuing a better diagnosis then potentially readdressing this part of your claim, depending on what happens with it. Neuro is the right type of doc to look into this. You may want to follow up with your own neurologist soon.

Edited by TiredCoastie

Jesusplay,

I filed a claim during my discharge medical examination back in 2010 for headaches, (which was documented a few time in my SMR). All the shipboard corpsman did was give me motrin and documented I came in for a headache, motrin provided. Well I told this to the outbreifing physical doc, and she said theirs probably not enough evidence to file a claim.

So a cou[le months after I retired, I made an appointment with the local VA medical center near where I live and they initially sent me totalk to a psychologist, speech therapist. This went on for about 6 months, then finally after six months seeing these folks, my VA primary doctor ordered to have an MRI done. Wow, what a surprise when the VA doc called me while I was at work and said I have "Normal Pressure Hydeocephalus. I had surgery 4 months late to have a shunt put in to relive the excess fluid built-up in my skull. I have scense submitted another claim for this condition, had a C & P exam done and am waiting for a decision. I am currently (according to E-benefits) in the PREPARATION FOR DECISION phase.

As Tiredcoastie mentioned you need to have some documentation in your medcial record for them to tie it to service connection. It's a battle I know. If you made copies of your medical records before yor were discharged take a look back through them all and see if you can find anything documented for headaches.

I wish you all the luck!!!

Edited by Proudvet

Proudvet's story is why you should follow up with a neurologist beyond the C&Ps. It could be migraines, like mine. It could be something more serious, like Proudvet's. It could be tension headaches as your SMR states. You'll want to get a better diagnosis just to begin with. From there, you can take the right steps for treatment and then also submit another claim with the VA.

I do not know what to expect if the VA thinks you have one condition but it turns out that you have something else.