VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Not Fixing Wheelchair In Timely Fashion.

Rate this topic

I am asking this question for a good friend whose husband is an Agent Orange/Vietnam Vet. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this processed quicker? It would be the Toledo, OH VA--which is under the Ann Arbor, MI umbrella of clinics.

Quote: "can you give me any suggestions on who to contact (other than Physical Therapy...already did that several times) for this? The arm of Pete's electric wheelchair fell off & we called over a month ago & they sent someone out right away....the guy checked it out, took pictures, wrote an estimate & said he would submit it & as soon as he got authorization fpr payment from the VA he would be back out to fix it. Needless to say, it is still not fixed. We did have it duct taped together & it was working ok for a while, but the last couple days it quit charging & no longer works at all.....this afternoon Pete actually had to crawl on his hands & knees to get to the bathroom. He has called several times to the VA and is getting nowhere & the company that fixes them says they can't do anything without approval from the VA. I dont know who to try contacting next."

Thanks for any suggestion. Hate to have a fellow Veteran crawling to the bathroom when the rest of the nation is preparing to celebrate Veteran's Day.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am asking this question for a good friend whose husband is an Agent Orange/Vietnam Vet. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this processed quicker? It would be the Toledo, OH VA--which is under the Ann Arbor, MI umbrella of clinics.

Quote: "can you give me any suggestions on who to contact (other than Physical Therapy...already did that several times) for this? The arm of Pete's electric wheelchair fell off & we called over a month ago & they sent someone out right away....the guy checked it out, took pictures, wrote an estimate & said he would submit it & as soon as he got authorization fpr payment from the VA he would be back out to fix it. Needless to say, it is still not fixed. We did have it duct taped together & it was working ok for a while, but the last couple days it quit charging & no longer works at all.....this afternoon Pete actually had to crawl on his hands & knees to get to the bathroom. He has called several times to the VA and is getting nowhere & the company that fixes them says they can't do anything without approval from the VA. I dont know who to try contacting next."

Thanks for any suggestion. Hate to have a fellow Veteran crawling to the bathroom when the rest of the nation is preparing to celebrate Veteran's Day.

How old is the chair ?

If it's been several years, perhaps his PCP can submit a request for a new one.

• HadIt.com Elder

Now we know why we were taught to low crawl. See, they were helping us for later in life. You might try renting one, until his is fixed. I had to rent one for a wk, once and it was about $100. Well worth it to me. You might try contacting one of those useless service orgs, for help with getting one or paying for it. jmo

pr