VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Hearing Loss

Rate this question

ktm rider

Question

New to the site but been lurking for a while. I served in the Navy from 88'-92'. I worked on the flight deck of a carrier the whole time. ( catapults). Last year the wife decided she had just about enough of repeating herself so she pretty much demanded I go to the VA.

Long story short, I was awarded 20%. 10% for Tinnitus and 10% for insomnia due to the tinnitus. ( according to ebenefits) . I have yet to receive my award packet though. However, I did not receive anything for my hearing loss and that was the reason for going in the first place.

The examiner claims that I had no hearing loss when i entered the navy and no hearing loss on my exit exam.

The problem with that is that I can not remember doing a exit hearing exam. I do remember that I was allowed an early out to attend college. This was a last minute decision apparently because i only had one day to complete the entire checkout procedure. the ship was pulling out the next day, And that was no easy task.

I also requested my medical records last year and did not see any exit hearing tests at all.

I am required to take a hearing test yearly at work and always fail it. .

I could have swore i once read that there were certain rates that were pretty much a lock for getting rated for hearing loss and Aviation Boatswains Mate was high on the list.

Edited by ktm rider

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ktm rider

You meet the criteria for HL based on the frq test. What was your speech repsonse test results. You should get at least 0% which is what 98% of us get when first diagnosed. That will get you hearing aids at least. You definitely need to file a NOD when you get your decision back if they deny you. Your speech scores have to be under 92% for each ear. It should be on your test as SRT. Your hearing test from your job will not fly with the VA unless it is done by VA protocol.

carlie and Boomer2,

Thanks for the responses, Not 100% sure what my speech score was but If i remember correctly is was higher than 92%.

I have been waiting all week for my packet in snail mail. I will post when i get that info.

Thanks.

Also, I have heard that when a person appeals the decision, that person's compensation is frozen until the appeal process is complete. Which I am sure take just about forever. Is this true?

Also, since I am asking such newbie questions, I have another totally off the wall one..... I am an avid hunter and shooter. I love all things firearms, i work in the law enforcement field and own many rifles and handguns.

When I first applied to the VA in January there was plenty of talk about veterans who have depression/ anxiety losing their 2nd amend. rights and deemed a danger to others. .. although hearing loss was the main reason for going to the VA, this did affect what i put on the application...

I don't think I would say anything about being an avid firearms enthusiast. The more you tell them something like that the less likely you will be SC'd for hearing loss. As far as the depression and anxiety if you tell them you are suicidal or homicidal yea you may lose your guns. There are plenty of vets out there that are rated pretty high for PTSD and depression and they still have their guns. You're in law enforcement you know better than me what kind of people out there are using guns for illegal purposes. I know when I took my hearing test the audio person asked me if I had fired weapon since leaving active duty and I told her of course I did I was in the reserves for 19 years. She didn't say anything else. I do find it interesting you got 10% for insomnia as secondary to tinnitus. I tried that and was denied I smell a resubmittal.