VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Private Insurance Industry's 63-Day Lapse ”Gotcha” Vs Va Health Care Enrollment.

Rate this question

DrBarbae

Question

My situation: I am an expat living in Europe that is taking a much-needed pause from work after being in Afghanistan the last 3 years straight. I anticipate taking the next year off from work. I recently separated from my employer on 30 Sep 2013. I currently have no medical insurance coverage from a private company. Paying for my health care out-of-pocket is feasible. I am 90% disabled, and expect that soon will be 100% disabled once my claim finalizes (December or January). I would rather not spend money on costly COBRA or anything else if I am in the situation I am in. I am currently looking for insurance that will cover me if something terribly catastrophic would happen (hit by a car, etc).

My concern: CIGNA (and other big insurance companies do this too, I am sure) just sent me a ”certificate of group health plan coverage” indicating I was covered through 30 Sep 2013 that is seemingly useful to gain coverage for pre-exisiting conditions when getting a new policy **IF** I get insurance within 63 days of the policy expiring (approximately 02 Dec 2013 in my case). I want to make sure I do not screw myself by not taking action now, but do not want to buy insurance I do not need, or will be too much of a hassle to use.

My question: Does being a disabled veteran exempt me from this ”lapse in coverage” stuff, at least for service-connected conditions that might not be covered in the future? And what about being outside the United States? If I am enrolled for VA healthcare, am I good to go?

THANKS!

ro → en
the

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you are 50% SC'd the VA covers all of your medical conditions whether SC'd or not. Now I am not sure how the coverage works for someone who is out of the country. I would imagine that you could go to a U.S. military base and be covered that way. I would contact the VA and ask them about the coverage in the country you are in.

I forgot to mention that I am enrolled in the Foreign Medical Program too. It seems though I am covered, but I do not want is for insurance industry to stick it to me because I gave them an easy opportunity to charge me more for an arbitrary time of not "paying into the system". I will call CIGNA tomorrow and hopefully will get a straight answer.

However, is this true if I am stateside, what is below? I thought the VA covered all of a veteran's medical conditions only if rated at 100% (and only if stateside). I thought 50% put me in the first priority group.

If you are 50% SC'd the VA covers all of your medical conditions whether SC'd or not.

That is correct

At 50 % SC the VA covers medical expenses to include RX for

ALL medical conditions - NOT just SC'd conditions - that is

except for Dental care.

For dental care, in most cases you must be 100 % SC'd or

I believe SC'd at 100 % due to IU, or have a compensable SC'd

dental disability.

Your eligibility for VA care will probably NOT meet re-insurance requirements for any commercial insurance company.

Currently, I am investigating/discussing an employer provided plan about a coverage clause the indicates medical services for military injuries are excluded? I fail to see how that will comply with elements of the ACA that address coverage for pre-existing conditions ( i need to dig into the text of the law to see if the congress gave insurers a HUGE loop hole). I have been told by the insurance company I qualify for care under the policy, but still want to know when and how this clause would be enacted and I also want to know if military injury is specifically mentioned in the ACA.

Best regards,