VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency As Compensation Claim?

Rate this question

Loose Cannon

Question

Not sure why but ebennies lists a dependency claim I submitted in Aug 2013 as a compensation claim with a forecasted completion date window of Jan-Apr 2014. Is this normal?? I am aware that if approved, I may receive "back compensation pay" but that isn't the motivating factor. I am trying to get my 26 year old stepdaughter who has autism approved so she can be eligible for health care under CHAMPVA. I filed a claim to have the VA designate her a "helpless child" which is what is needed. She has NEVER worked and relies on her mother and me for daily care, etc.

Hopefully, they will approve it soon. Then, we will file for Social Security benefits for her. Any advice?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks so much for your great info!...Yes, I am receiving SSDI. This all seems quite complicated so let me ask this: My ultimate objective is to get my stepdaughter healthcare. As I stated earlier, she is 25 yrs old. In order for her to be eligible for CHAMPVA, she has to be deemed what they call a "Helpless Child". So...In Aug 2013, I submitted the "claim" / dependency request to the VA.

Yesterday I applied online for Social Security benefits for her. My understanding is that she will be eligible for SSI and not SSDI since she was never, ever employed. Is this correct? Also, the Soc Security website says I must schedule her an appointment and come in to complete an application for SSI as they don't take them online.

I will contact my local SS office to make an appointment. I really hope they will be able to answer our questions and point me on the right path. Again, getting her health insurance is #1...any monthly income she can get sure would help but that is priority #2. Hoping they will tell us what would be most beneficial.

I submitted my dependency claim three times over a period of 1 1/2 years. First time it was lost; second time it was closed without a reason. The current claim that is posted on eBenefits indicates it is past settlement date of Oct 30, 2013. When you click on the link, "Learn More"', the site locked up with no results. I sent an email via IRIS one week ago with no results. I am having the same NO RESULTS from the VA on receiving my re-tro pay from 2010. I have also forwarded many documents to the VA and they have been lost. I have no faith that I will receive anything from the VA.

Dealing with the VA can be a very frustrating thing. I'm so sorry to hear of your experience thus far. If I were in your shoes, I'd contact my congress rep...you seem to have tried everything else at this point. What a shame but...stay persistant!

LC

"My understanding is that she will be eligible for SSI and not SSDI since she was never, ever employed. Is this correct? Also, the Soc Security website says I must schedule her an appointment and come in to complete an application for SSI as they don't take them online."

Your step-daughter should be eligible for DAC (Disabled Adult Child) benefits, which are based on your earnings, as she was never able to work. If the disabled adult child's parent is not retired, disabled, or deceased -- then they get SSI. If the parent is retired, disabled, or deceased - the actually draw on the parent's earning record. As your child is your step-daughter, I think you will have to have provided over 1/2 of her support for a certain amount of time prior to her applying. It used to be the step-child had to be living with, OR receiving one-half their support from the step-parent. But that was changed. Again, I am no longer certain of all the details - but I can check them out later if it would help. Generally, if family funds are pooled, they take the household expenses and divide them by the number of people in the household to determine support. If funds are not pooled, they determine who paid for what. There is no 6 month waiting period for DAC benefits, as the child has already been disabled.

Your step-daughter should qualify for medicaid immediately, if you can show she is disabled. She would qualify for medicare after she has been receiving DAC benefits for 2 years. Depending on the circumstances, she may be considered dual eligible - eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid - at that time. In that event Medicaid would pay for her Medicare premiums, and certain co-pays. Medicare would be her primary insurance, and Medicaid would be supplemental. Of course, with health care laws changing that might also change.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify10.htm

"

Adults Disabled Before Age 22

An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child's benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a "child's" benefit because it is paid on a parent's Social Security earnings record.

The "adult child"—including an adopted child, or, in some cases, a stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild—must be unmarried, age 18 or older, and have a disability that started before age 22."

Many thanks for the info...It all seems encouraging to read but can be overwhelming at the same time :wacko: . Since it's past 3pm and the local SS office is closed, I will try tomorrow to schedule an appointment and see what options they can offer. I intend on being completely honest with them and will bring all our paperwork with us. Proving that I was her main source of support is an easy one...Just want to do what's best for her and her/our future.

You have definitely given me some things to research and ask them about when I go in... Have a nice Thanksgiving and thanks again :smile: !!