VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency As Compensation Claim?

Rate this question

Loose Cannon

Question

Not sure why but ebennies lists a dependency claim I submitted in Aug 2013 as a compensation claim with a forecasted completion date window of Jan-Apr 2014. Is this normal?? I am aware that if approved, I may receive "back compensation pay" but that isn't the motivating factor. I am trying to get my 26 year old stepdaughter who has autism approved so she can be eligible for health care under CHAMPVA. I filed a claim to have the VA designate her a "helpless child" which is what is needed. She has NEVER worked and relies on her mother and me for daily care, etc.

Hopefully, they will approve it soon. Then, we will file for Social Security benefits for her. Any advice?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

About the dependency claims, yes John, dependency is a claim because it effects compensation. learn something new every day I do!

many VARO's have taken the individual's that work dependency claims and moved them to assist on the backlog of claims. Is what they do have is individuals that are working dependency claims as an additional duty. You being in the service, I'm sure you know what additional duties are. They get worked when your first job is done. Anyway, at the Louisville, Pittsburg, Baltimore, Winston-Salem VARO's they only have one person that works these claims. I have submitted many, many dependency claims, the longest time I have seen a dependency claim is 2 years. Now, in the Louisville office, the individual that works these can only do 5 in a month, that's it.

The powers to be believe that a claim can be worked faster without the VA FM 21-686c. I believe this is crap. If you have a VA FM 21-686c and you have all the supporting documentation to go with it, a dependency claim can be done in about 3-4 minutes. I have volunteered to work for free doing dependency claims and was told no.

The good thing about it is you will receive back pay from your effective date of the claim.

good luck...

I guess it seems trivial when I look around and see how many of my fellow vets are still waiting for claim decisions that seem to drag on for months...or years. I consider myself very fortunate to be where I'm at now as opposed to a couple years ago. I'm glad to get your input on this issue and will let the VA process run its course. It still is unacceptable to take 2 years for a dependency issue but that goes to the heart of the matter that is...reducing the VA claims backlog.

I agree, the only thing you can do now is just wait. Also, I wouldn't place a lot of truth with the e-benefit site. It is a disaster, wrong information, wrong dates, many times update with another veterans status. I tell vets not to take stock in that sight. If you don't have PTSD you will after dealing with the ebenefits site, guaranteed!!

And yes, it is sad that we have to wait as long as we have/had or are now waiting. Actually, I can remember when the dependency claims were completed within 30 days. But, that's like yesterdays news, history.

hang in there Brother!!

I want to clarify -- by based on your earnings, I mean based on your earning record. Your monthly income would not affect what she gets. Her benefits would be based on your earnings record -- and based on the amount of benefits you get.

"My understanding is that she will be eligible for SSI and not SSDI since she was never, ever employed. Is this correct? Also, the Soc Security website says I must schedule her an appointment and come in to complete an application for SSI as they don't take them online."

Your step-daughter should be eligible for DAC (Disabled Adult Child) benefits, which are based on your earnings, as she was never able to work. If the disabled adult child's parent is not retired, disabled, or deceased -- then they get SSI. If the parent is retired, disabled, or deceased - the actually draw on the parent's earning record.

Very helpful brochure...Awaiting a call back from SSA sometime today. Hoping she can qualify to receive benefits based on my earnings...Feeling somewhat better now. Just got to stick with it.