VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency As Compensation Claim?

Rate this question

Loose Cannon

Question

Not sure why but ebennies lists a dependency claim I submitted in Aug 2013 as a compensation claim with a forecasted completion date window of Jan-Apr 2014. Is this normal?? I am aware that if approved, I may receive "back compensation pay" but that isn't the motivating factor. I am trying to get my 26 year old stepdaughter who has autism approved so she can be eligible for health care under CHAMPVA. I filed a claim to have the VA designate her a "helpless child" which is what is needed. She has NEVER worked and relies on her mother and me for daily care, etc.

Hopefully, they will approve it soon. Then, we will file for Social Security benefits for her. Any advice?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

UPDATE: I was able to finally get in touch over the phone with my local SS office. Long story short...The lady was very helpful, answering questions, typing in some info, and checking with others there. I told her my stepdaughter's situation and that I had difficulty and confusion when I attempted filling out the SSI Application they had sent. She scheduled someone from SS to call us on Dec 13th to take the application over the phone, vice actually coming in to their office. I mentioned that we were also requesting the possibility of her receiving behefits based on my earnings (Disabled Adult Child program) which she noted in the computer. She said to address that with the person who will be calling. So...in the meantime, I will copy all medical & school records that bolster her case and send them to SS.

By the way, she was declined SSDI benefits but that was to be expected as she has never had a job and never "paid into the system." The woman on the phone says that is normal but not to be discouraged as she still can eligible for other SS benefits (SSI, SNAP, etc.)

Thanks to all for making me better informed...Keep your experiences & ideas coming...You've been so kind!

Update as of 1/20/2014 - so some time has gone by but it was used productively...SS called and took her application from me over the phone. Sent all forms in that they required on time AND...My stepdaughter had a SS scheduled Doc appt. about a week ago to evaluate her. It lasted about an hour and the woman was very nice to us all. She said she would complete & send her report to the SS DDS office within 10 days.

So, everything has been done and just waiting for the result. I feel comfortable she will receive a favorable decision. In reality it's in God's hands now. Cannot believe how efficient and professional the SS process has been. I almost need to pinch myself! There is no comparing THIS experience to that of the VA claim process. Talk about polar opposites? What a shame the VA can't act this way.

A HUGE THANK YOU goes out from me to everyone who commented and provided advice...You ALL nailed it. Bottom line is if approved, she will receive 1/2 of my monthly SSDI benefit (based on my lifetime earnings) under the rules. Like I said, it's in Gods hands now. Again, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

LC

Great News Bud,

I just had my SSDI Mental Exam two weeks ago, and I have my SSDI Physical Exam on Feb 1st. Then we both just wait. Good luck and keep us posted bud.