VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Walk In Tub

Rate this topic

my poor wife has fallen again and broke her pelvis in two places. She is now in a nursing home rehab and has been for a month. This makes ten broken bones and numerous operations. I would like to get her a walk in tub so I can walk in, set her down and soak and relax. Does anyone know if champva would pay for this. I called the champva rep and he did not know if they would pay or not. He said that I would have to get a code from the Doc. Thanks and any info would be appreciated.

Red

Red, get her an appointment with her PCM. Explain the situation to her doc and what you are requesting. The doctor then can submit an prescription order to obtain one. Some places the doc wont do this, but each clinic has a social worker that has contacts and the ways and means to make this happen. If you can demonstrate that this is an needed appliance, then champva will pay for it.

good luck

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

They need codes for everything.

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

red,

I was thinking of getting my wife (multiple sclerosis) a walk-in tub, however, when a lady from one of the places trying to help us out with stuff told us that they do not work really well because in order to close the door you have to squeeze it around you, i.e., not very much room, because the door swings to the inside to seal the water out when its closed. Especially if you are of the larger variety like me. I don't know if there are places that have a demonstrator set up, but I would try to find one and see how it would work before putting alot of effort and or money into it to only find out it won't work.

There are other options, but sofar I haven't found anything with the same principle of the walk-in tub. The lady did show us a picture of a contraption that you sit on and it swings over a normal tub and then it lowers you in and out. Looked rather flimsy, but was rated for 300 pounds. Rubber ducky won't be able to ride with me....

Hamslice

This link says CHAMPVA wont pay for it but down in the link it mentions other options:

“On a more positive note, there are several VA programs that provide assistance which can be used for the purchase and installation of a walk in tub or shower. The VA offers 3 different grants for disabled veterans: these are the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant, the Special Home Adaptation (SHA) Grant and the Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) Grant. Of these, the HISA Grant is the most applicable to aging veterans as their disability need not be connected to their military service. “

http://www.payingforseniorcare.com/financial-assistance/walk-in-bathtubs-medicare.html

I realized,not long ago that I could get repairs and other stuff done to my home with my VA Home Loan Guaranty benefit.

I am a civilian widow on CHAMPVA

I called the Home Loan people at VA (their contact info is surely on VA's main web site page) and much to my surprise I got a knowledgeable person right away,who verified the info below..

I told her I was considering extending my bedroom out further or instead possible putting in a larger office area and she said no problem,based on my award letter.

I had doped out the specifications and talked to the building inspector already and planned on getting the VA approved loan via a federal credit union I am member of. She said the credit union would handle the issuing of the VA Guarantee Certificate.

My point here is ( I decided against the addition and the loan because I hate credit anyhow but might change my mind....I really need an additional room just for all my VA Crapola and am glad I saved it all for decades) that this might be a solution for you, to get that walk in tub via the VA Home loan Guaranty.

Actually I have considered getting that type of tub myself but they do have drawbacks.

“About Home Loans

VA helps Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible surviving spouses become homeowners. As part of our mission to serve you, we provide a home loan guaranty benefit and other housing-related programs to help you buy, build, repair, retain, or adapt a home for your own personal occupancy.

VA Home Loans are provided by private lenders, such as banks and mortgage companies. VA guarantees a portion of the loan, enabling the lender to provide you with more favorable terms.”

http://www.benefits.va.gov/homeloans/

My wife is on Champva. I am 100% t&p. I would have to help her into the tub. I just think a good relaxing bath, jut soaking would do her a lot of good. Now she has to have a shower setting on a chairl.. Thanks for all your help. I will go by a bath business and look at some of them.