VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Walk In Tub

Rate this topic

I plan on getting a walk -in -tub, hopefully if my appeals ever get through... I need one, as I slip and fall easily. The VA gave me a chair that sits in a shower, but I need the walk in for safety, I have a very difficult time on wet surface and stepping over stuff...

I hope it will happen before I fall again....

CHAMPVA for Equipment? My wife get's her Med Co-pays covered, I haven't really checked anything else out.

Your eligible for the VA IL program assistance thru the Voc Rehab Dept. If a VA Social Worker were to determine you needed safety upgrades to your bathroom, there is a $6500.00, 1 time, Grant available.

A couple Vets I work with, got the Bathroom Grants, the walk-in tubs were a no go. VA didn't consider them safe, go figure. The completed upgrades did make their existing Shower and Tubs safer and easier to access.

This is just a thought, maybe a short or long time solution, in the event that the VA won't cover the tub. Most Sr Aquatic Centers, large YMCA's, Health Clubs, etc, have Hot Tubes with Disabled Person Accommodations, for getting in & out.

Certainly not as convenient as your own "Walk-in" tub, but a viable alternative. Health club membership is covered by some Medicare Supplemental plans, United Health Silver Sneaker for example. I've read of Vet's in the VA IL program getting Health Club memberships covered, check it out.

Semper Fi

• 4 months later...