VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Taxes Waived For 100%/p&t/unemployable

Property Taxes Waived

Sec. 7b. (1) Real property used and owned as a homestead by a disabled veteran who was discharged from the armed forces of the United States under honorable conditions or by an individual described in subsection (2) is exempt from the collection of taxes under this act. To obtain the exemption, an affidavit showing the facts required by this section and a description of the real property shall be filed by the property owner or his or her legal designee with the supervisor or other assessing officer during the period beginning with the tax day for each year and ending at the time of the final adjournment of the local board of review. The affidavit when filed shall be open to inspection. The county treasurer shall cancel taxes subject to collection under this act for any year in which a disabled veteran eligible for the exemption under this section has acquired title to real property exempt under this section. Upon granting the exemption under this section, each local taxing unit shall bear the loss of its portion of the taxes upon which the exemption has been granted.

We win!

Great news...for those who live in Michigan. Here in NC, they will exempt the first $45,000 providing an application is filed with the state by the last day of the current tax year. So...when the VA takes 2 years (or longer) to complete a claim, THEN they backdate the award, NC disabled vets get screwed.

When I wrote my tax revenue office a letter asking that they return any taxes I overpaid for 2011 & 2012 they told me they couldn't under the current state law. I wrote to Senator Kay Hagen and informed her, one of her office workers told me to write to my state representative to get the law changed.

LOL...Just another reason why the VA backlog hurts us and must get fixed.

Here's the letter I sent:

After honorably serving my Country for 20 years with several combat deployments, I applied to the Veteran's Administration for a disability rating on February 17, 2011. As it has been highly publicized, the VA has struggled to complete disability evaluations in a timely manner with so many service members returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. My case took 538 days. On July 27, 2012 the VA completed their evaluation and granted me a 100% permanent and total disability rating for my service-connected injuries, effective as of February 2011.

In accordance with the Disabled Veteran Property Tax Homestead Exclusion (Article 12, NC General Statute 105-277.1c), I submitted my application for property tax relief along with the VA's certification on Form NCDVA-9 for tax year 2013 on April 11th.

I am well aware that under normal circumstances, tax relief applications need to be submitted to your office on the last day of the current tax year. I am requesting you consider the facts of my situation as stated in this letter, accept my applications for tax years 2011 and 2012, and return any property taxes I have overpaid. Since I was determined by the VA to be permanently and totally disabled during this time I feel my request for special consideration from your office is warranted and is the legal and moral thing to do. It is my belief that I should not be penalized due to a backlog at the VA that ultimately prevented me from submitting my tax exclusion requests in a timely manner.

Please contact me if you need additional documentation or have any questions pertaining to my request. I look forward to a favorable decision and appreciate any action you may take on my behalf.

Their response was a big fat NO.