VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Property Taxes Waived For 100%/p&t/unemployable

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Alabama is on the bandwagon too, but you have to fill out paperwork each year.

I just have one question. When filing for a property tax exemption, do they exempt you from the day you first filed your claim and found to be at 100%,

or do they go by the effective date on your award letter?

Thanks in advance.

God Bless.....

Aggie

• HadIt.com Elder

I just have one question. When filing for a property tax exemption, do they exempt you from the day you first filed your claim and found to be at 100%,

or do they go by the effective date on your award letter?

Thanks in advance.

God Bless.....

Aggie

If CA is like most states you get exempted from the day you apply and are approved. Most states won't refund for the yrs it takes the VA to process your claim(s).

In VT, I get $40k off my evaluation. My home is assessed at roughly $100k, so I pay based on $60k. I wish the town would give me $100k for my house, then I'd buy another. In NH, my bordering state, they give $2k off the actual tax bill, not the assessment. Each state is different.

pr

I agree with Philip...each state is different. I don't mean to sound ungrateful 'cause every little bit sure helps. But look at the big picture...We are given this benefit because we served the United States and all states should be the SAME. NC could care less when the VA deemed you P&T, even if it goes back years ago. Here, the state will not credit any tax overpaid and only discount the tax year starting with the date you filed the exclusion with them...Doing the math, this "rule" ended up costing me over $1,000.

Sound " military friendly" to you??? There's still some fight in this retired Marine so I will be sending a copy of the Michigan law to my local lawmakers asking that they enact similar legislation. If it falls on deaf ears...there's always the voting booth to show my displeasure!

• In Memoriam

My claim went 6 years until finalized. I moved from Calif. to Ark before the claims were resolved.

I went round and round with the California Tax Assesors office, because I had to prove that I owed that property in 2004 and 2005. Finally the assesor did pay the back years of taxes on my property.