VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What/who To Bring To C & P Exam

Rate this question

ArmyWife

Question

Well my husband wasn't told about his first C & P Exam...so now while we were dealing with that I thought I would get some tips ,if and when we ever do get one.

1. Should I go with him?

2. Should we bring these "letters"- I have heard of people bringing "letters" from family members and battle buddies. My husband says that all he needs to bring is his CIB and that should be proof enough (he is quite stubborn)

3. What should or shouldn't we say? Since he has been out he has had a drug problem, should we not bring this up?

4. It seems like you have to do all of these tricks to get proper treatment/disability rating..I just want to do the right thing.

He has :

Depression
Anxiety

Never sleeps

Spurts of anger

Lack of interest in sex (its been 6 months )

Drug problem

He has many many dreams about the Army

Trouble expressing emotion

Trouble staying focused

He just can't relate to people, its like he lives in his own world 24/7

He is such a great father, but I feel more distant from him each day.

He shows pretty much all the signs, which at first I think we were both in denial about. But its like it came on full force...I am currently seeking counseling but I can only get counseling after he goes at the local Vet Center.

I guess I am worried he won't be able to express all of these things to the Dr. ...as he does have trouble talking to people. So maybe I shouldn't be there, or maybe I should to contest?

I am giving all of this to God and praying constantly for him. At first I was so angry, because i didn't think it would happen to him, but now I sort of have some peace,I guess.

-Ann

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you everyone, we truly had no idea that dealing with the VA would be so flipping COMPLICATED. Dealing with his PTSD is a daily battle. But I know it can be won. Thank you everyone for your responses.Truly.

• HadIt.com Elder

He should bring paperwork that shows his award of the CIB not just the badge. When a vet has a CIB the VA accepts his stressor. He still must show that he currently suffers from PTSD. Do as Phil has suggested and read up on PTSD. The VA has a checklist of PTSD symptoms.

Tell him to not shower, bathe or shave. Also wear plain dark clothes, no fancy colors. Also, when the Dr. asks your husband, " How are you doing " tell him to respond " If I was doing good, I would not be here ". It is over doing it a bit, but if someone would have told me this I would not have been low balled on my PTSD.

Seriously? Would the same recommendation go for a "regular" C&P or just for mental health? I'm genuinely curious as I have a Gulf War and several others tomorrow.

K9,

My twin brother and I both have a current SSDI claim, and he had his hearing in front of the Judge a few weeks ago. He was never in the Military and his lawyer sent him a DVD that told him the same info I stated above. I always wear the same outfit, don't shave or smell good when I go to C&Ps and my regular Docs for treatment. It is not the fact that we are over doing it, but the fact is that Docs will put notes on your visit that will say service member is well dressed and smells good. Then when the raters look at the notes, they try to low ball vets by saying that since you are well groomed you must be cured. God bless all of you, and may 2014 be a better year than 2013 for all of us.