VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Here Actually Rated More Than 0% For Hearing Loss?

Rate this question

ktm rider

Question

My wife was sick and tired of repeating herself so she insisted I go to the VA. It was no secret that my hearing was bad. Failed tests at work every year. I worked on the flight deck of a carrier from 88'.-92'. SO I went.

I did some research online and it seems that a vet rated higher then 0% for hearing loss is as rare as hens teeth.

I was actually denied for my hearing even though I show hearing loss within the VA criteria. It seems that My exit hearing test in 1992 showed no hearing loss..... I don't recall taking an exit test.

Has anyone here actually been successful in claiming hearing loss and got a rating higher than 0%?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey Boomer. I checked and agree you should get 30% hearing loss plus 10% tinitus for a total of 40%.

Times 3 years of back pay it should be a gratifying win. I wish you the best.

I thought maybe you would get more because your right ear is 55 or more at each of the four frequencies but that dosent do much.

I wish I understood this stuff better.

Why is it that since my left ear is below 30 at 1000 and above 70 at 2000 that they automatically jump me up a level. Say from vll to vlll.

But if yours is 55 at 1000 and then 70 at 2000 they don't bump you up a level but will only choose from chart one or chart two?

Aren't the higher bumbers worse? Then again my left ear is nearly useless.

I would like to have a better understanding if anyone knows

I wish I understood better as well. I am already 10% for tinnitus and 20% for DM II. It says in the CFR that each ear is rated separately when you are 30 or below but they rate HL as one rating. I've asked several people what the differences are but no one knows or at least they say they don't. If the DRO reviewer calls me about my claim I'm going to ask them maybe I'll get a straight answer.

Boomer. I can explain.

There are two seperate tables for rating purpises.

Table 1 intersects your average of four frequencies with your percentage of speech discrimination.

In your case your averages are 66 and 68. They both fall into the 66-73 zone. Then they intersect your speech discrimination percentages giving you A Vll and Vl rating.

When you intersect these on the compensation chart you arrive at 30%.

Because your right ear is 55 or more at all four frequencies then chart number two could be used for your right ear. However this would only give you a V and V for a 20% rating

Chart number two dosent use speech discrimination and only your average of the four frequencies.

I've found this chart useless unless you are scoring very high on the speech discrimination portion.

In your case you would receive a lesser rating by using chart number two.

In my case being 30 or below at 1000 and 70 or above at 2000 they automatically do what I call a power up.

What this means is they intersect my average frequency of 63 with my speech discrimination of 64 .

This is a Vl rating. But sunce I'm 30 or below at 1000 and70 or above at 2000 they "power up" my Vl to a Vll rating.

They then intersect my left ears powered up Vll with my right ears V for a total of 30%.

So we both come to 30% at different ways.

My question is this.

Why do I get the power up when your 55 or above at each frequency seems numerically worse.

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Also what happens in a year or teo when I'm 35 at 1000 and 90 at 2000.

So now no power up even though my hearing would be worst?

Very confusing

Sorry you guys don't like the tables for content but they are very handy to use and Husky went into a lot of effort to perfect this chart.

The VA has always treated the hearing lose at a reduced function of a handicap I would assume on my part because of hearing aids, which in honesty has been very beneficial for many. NO it is not like they can operate and you will hear like you did when you were a teen of should I say before any damage has been done.

I wish I had a dime for every time I have sat in a sound booth and not raised my hand because I could not hear. But it aint getting any better as we age just need to make the best of it. And please if you don't think you heard something right ask them to try again!

Stillhere