VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do If Currently Employed And Not Doing Well At Work?

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

I am 80% and might be able to get federal disability retirement. I am only 35 years old. I make over $100,000 a year but I dont think I can keep it up. Does anyone know what all my options are for disability and the amounts possible. I have a few claims I would like to reopen also. I am afraid I could lose what I have for no good reason at all. Has anyone else been in my shoes? Any advice on who I can go see to seek help with my claims. VA just does not get it somehow. Thanks!

I have a few buds in High Rankings with the VA and they told me that over 50% of Claim backlogs are for Vietnam vets. All vets deserve %s for Service disabilities, but my friends told me that since the VA opened the Flood Gates on Vietnam Vets, the amount of False claims are half of the legitimate claims. Its hard to feel for guys in the Disability line with cuts, bruises and sprains trying to get money, and guys like me that get retired at 30 from the Military after 5 tours because I am used goods, and now I have to fight for my %s when the Military was the one that gave me the boot. I just resigned in October as an Agent with the state Tracking Violent Sex Offenders and you would be surprised how many of those guys in Jail or in Halfway Houses were getting 100% and not a darn thing was wrong with most of them. Sorry I rambled on guys, but I am tired of the looks I get when I park in Handicap space, and people look at me expecting my body to be blown apart because they don't understand how a young man gets disabled. God bless all.

• HadIt.com Elder

The claims for RVN vets are Agent Orange claims that probably should have been adjudicated 20 years ago. The war never ends for the Vietnam vets because they keeping finding links between AO and diseases that kill.

I'd talk with my docs and see if THEY think I need to leave work

due to SC'd conditions and if they are willing to put it in writing,

would be a big help.

Even maxing VA out- it won't pay anything at all even near 100K a year,

but I don't know what fed. dis. retirement would pay.

JMHO

I think Carlie has given you good advice. Can you do with less annual income is what you need to ask yourself before stepping away from a good paying job? Also...do you have enough savings to sustain you while the VA claims process plays out, which unfortunatly can drag on for several years? Good luck...not easy things to consider.

LC

navy04, I am a 100% P&T rated veterans with DV plates on one of my cars, and I also get some looks sometimes when I park in Disables parking, but when they see that I'm retired from the Military the majority of them come and shake my hand and thanked for my service. Honestly most of the time I do not park in the disable space, and i walk, unless I'm having a bad day. So don't feel bad about walking or parking in a disable space. You earned it.

If you are having troubles at work I would recommend you look at trying to find strategies to get back to being able to competantly do your job. I don't know the details of your work, but if you can make changes and possibly if you can get some accomodations from the employer to help you be sucessful, fight to keep your job!

Once you are no longer working, you are entirely at the mercy of the VA and other agencies. Budgets are only getting tighter, and the least painful (at least in their mind) place to cut is retiree's and disabled that arn't part of the "entitlement" budget. We do not get the automatic outrage for suggested cuts or reduced future benefits, you will see no commercial showing a vet getting pushed over a cliff in a wheel chair. You won't see SEIU protesting, and you won't find "rights" groups hiring protesters to pump up the outrage.

They will be seeking ways in the future to ban multiple sources of disability pay as a way to balance their budgets. It ain't right, but when has the right thing ever really been a prime consideration for a politician.

It used to be everything was grandfathered, look at the current budget already approved by the house. Military retires under retirement age just saw 1% of all future COLA's flushed into the slush fund.

Unless that job is effecting/destroying your health, fight to stay in it!

The only time I worry about using my plate is when its the only spot, I sometimes worry a brother or sister in a chair that needs it more than me might show up before I leave. For them I'll gladly hobble from a greater distance.

Thanks Aggie,

I usually don't park there either, unless bad weather or body is bothering me. I live in a small town where most people don't respect the Military.