VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva With Remand To Amc

Rate this question

jeeperrs

Question

I am new and posted much of what I am copy/pasting in another forum. However, I did not get much of a reply on that forum and thought I would try here. I will try to be as clear as I can, feel free to ask questions.

I will try to make this short and simple. I was discharged in 2003 for Supraventricular tachycardia. I found out after leaving the Army that they damaged my AV node and they took someone else's heart monitor and put my name on it (documented by VA cardiologist). The problem is that by putting my name on the other monitor and not my monitor, I received a 10% and not 30% rating in 2003. I have been fighting this for many years once a VA cardiologist pointed out the issue. I had a BVA hearing 2 years ago and just received my remand decision. I stressed the importance of the monitor that was miss identified and had a VA cardiologist document in 2009 that the heart monitor from 2003 was not my monitor and someone else's monitor. The judges remand said that I had to get current evidence, as that was too old of evidence for the increase in rating (she didn't once mention how I had false labs placed in my chart). This is my only issue that I have been fighting and I will post my timeline and then my questions. I have followed this board for 2 years but I can't seem to find an answer to this question, so I joined and am now posting.

Timeline (because I searched timelines all the time):

03/31/2009

Local VA Office Decision

RO

11/09/2009

Notice of Disagreement (NOD)

RO

11/16/2009

Appeal Pending

RO

03/17/2010

Statement of the Case (SOC)

RO

04/09/2010

Substantive Appeal (Form 9)

RO

01/11/2011

Supplemental Statement(s) of the Case (SSOC)

RO

07/27/2011

Certification of Appeal

RO

12/29/2011

Received by BVA

BVA

12/29/2011

Administrative Case Processing

BVA

10/15/2013

With VLJ

BVA

10/15/2013

With VLJ

BVA

10/23/2013

With VLJ

BVA

11/18/2013

With VLJ

BVA

11/19/2013

Pending Dispatch

BVA

11/19/2013

Decision & Claims File Dispatch

AMC

11/21/2013

Decision & Claims File Dispatch

AMC

Since it is now at the AMC you can all understand that I am in a remand.

My letter:

The Issue: Entitlement to a rating in excess of 10 percent for supraventricular tachycardia.

The introduction states:

This matter comes before the BVA on appeal from March 2009 rating decision issued by the VA RO in Muskogee, OK.

They had a quick review of my hearing and additional evidence

This paragraph was in bold and one of my questions (I was never seeking a secondary issue):

The issue of entitlement to service connection for degenerative mitral valve disease, to include as secondary to service-connected supraventricular tachycardia, has been raised by the record, but has not been adjudicated by the Agency of Original Jurisdiction (AOJ). Therefore, the board does not have jurisdiction over it, and it is referred to the AOJ for appropriate action.

The appeal is REMANDED to the RO via the AMC in Washington DC.

Questions:

1) Can I not do anything about them discharging me under false laboratory findings, as I have a VA cardiologist and private cardiologist that says that is not my heart monitor?

2) I did not ask for the mitral valve to be a secondary condition but additional evidence to the chronic supra ventricular tachycardia. Are they starting their own claim to make this a secondary issue? What date do they use, my appeal or the order date?

3) They want evidence between the time I filed the appeal (when I found out about the errors in my medical records) but also said in the remand that I am to have an examination. The issue is that I had way more recorded episodes when I left the army than they want to use. However, the VA has agreed to count 4 recorded episodes but I need 5 recorded episodes to get the increase I am seeking. The examination criteria says "It is left to the examiner's professional judgment whether the veteran needs to be monitored by ECG or Holger monitor to satisfactorily complete this examination." but the requirements the BVA stated earlier said I had to have 5 recorded episodes. Should I allow the doctor to submit an opinion or require the doctor to put a 30 day holter monitor on me? I can get the needed recordings if they put a 30 day monitor on me.

4) Should I get a lawyer at this point? I have use VFW thus far.

Thank you for any feedback. I will probably think of more questions but these are the big four.

This was what I posted after talking to my VSO......

I finally got my VSO to return my call (they are 3 hours away making a day drive impossible with work). He suggested I fill out a DD form 149 and have the board review the MEB discharge and change my discharge from 10% to 30%.

As far as the secondary issue goes, he said the AMC will review the mitral valve and make a decision as secondary issue to the SVT. If they deny it, the BVA judge can then make a final ruling. I was told that it should most likely be approved because the judge implied that she felt it was raised by the record in her remand. That was promising news as I was getting frustrated.

I have not received anything from the AMC as of yet. I hope this doesn't take another 2 years for a blatant error the RO refuses to acknowledge.

Any additional comments will be appreciated.

I was surprised as well with the speed of the AMC. It may be fast because we have simple claims (which clearly is not simple for the VARO ha-ha). I did not get any update on ebenefits when the SSOC was sent. I found out it was sent when I called the 1-800 #. After further reading, that historical claim that popped up may be from my request for a C&P I had for my knees at QTC. If it is for the QTC exam, I don't know why the action would have a link to "view Board of Veterans' Appeals" when that issue is not in my appeal before the BVA. So, who knows if that is because of my actual claim or because of a QTC request.

Figured I would post an update that states there is nothing to update. HA! I am still waiting on the official decision letter that goes with the new decision in the SSOC. No changes to my rating or pay have been made as of yet. Today is the one month anniversary of my SSOC from the AMC. LOL

Hi Jeeperrs. I got my bbe and it had a big surprise. I was told retro was from Jan 2014 and they rated me 50%. Well the rating decision said 50% going back to 2009! So I am 80% and a very nice retro. Now I need to get retro back to 2005 when I started this nightmare. And IU. Good luck to you. As I said I been following your post since Jan. I think so I wish you well!!!!!! Les

I am very happy to hear that you are almost all finished, Les!!! You deserve everything you are getting.

I received a phone call today from an IRIS inquiry. They said, "they are currently backed up processing awards". However, she also said that I should be getting the official rating decision and award amount soon. I have waited this many years, what are a few more years ha-ha! I honestly think the problem is that they sent an SSOC instead of an award letter. The VA rep said that it was not normal for people in my position to receive an SSOC since the award was for the max and everything that was before the BVA. The good thing about the SSOC is that it stated the effective date, so my back pay will be from at least Sep 2009. Okay, I should have a beer to get my mind off waiting. And then I will have another beer to celebrate your BBE :)

As of April 21st, they are still waiting on the award to be "reviewed for accuracy". Nothing else has changed. It seems to take longer for them to process the award than it took the AMC to complete the remand and make the decision. Frustrating!

Edited by jeeperrs

It pays to be nice to the RO. I called my RO last Friday. They actually let me talk to the Appeals Supervisor. I asked him if he could check into my appeal, as it has been "waiting for authorization" for a month and a half. He started looking into my case and noticed the "authorization" part I was talking about and that an official rating letter should have been mailed a month ago. He said he would call the AMC and see if he could get it resolved that day or by Monday (I called at 1:30 central time on Friday). Well, it is now Monday. I checked my ebenefits and my rating officially went to 50%! I never thought something would happen so fast. As frustrating as the process has been, it is nice to finally get to the other side. Now I just have to wait for the retro to come. :)