VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare For Life?

Rate this topic

Seeking some opinions:

I am a military retiree who is 90% but also TDIU P&T so I'm paid at the 100% level. I get ALL OF MY healthcare through the VA and to be honest, they have always provided me excellent care. Recently I was awarded SSDI so that entitled me to MEDICARE Part A cost free. I got the letter from Tricare stating that in order for me to remain in Tricare I would have to enroll in MEDICARE Part B. My wife remains covered under TRICARE Prime.

Well...after doing some research and racking my brain I decided to decline Medicare Part B since I never go anywhere but the VA for care. Did I make a mistake? I am confused as to any long term benefits I may be screwing myself out of by going that route...such as (TFL) Tricare for Life. I figured that I would be paying approx 100 bucks each month if I accepted Part B. Am I wrong?? My "savings" amounts to about $20 a month less that I pay to Tricare since I am off their rolls. I pay only to keep my wife insured so their cost was reduced.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing the right thing, based on my situation or if I missed considering any facts? As usual, I turn to you for answers...Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

LC

• HadIt.com Elder

I would never use just the VA for my care, unless I didn't care whether I lived or died. Medicare A is free and "B" only costs about $100+ and is well worth the money.

You don't state your ages. Does your spouse get ChampVA? I am not familiar w/Tricare.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get the Part B if I were you. The VA buries their mistakes. You always want to be able to get a second opinion and that is what medicare and Tricare provide. It is very cheap when you consider what you get. I bet with medicare and Tricare you would pay no co-pays or deductibles at all.

John

Thanks for replying PR...We're both late 40's...She's covered under Tricare Prime which has covered her while I was active duty and continues to date. Not CHAMPVA. Is your VA healthcare opinion based on some past bad experiences? I have found the VA's healthcare to be 180 degrees different than the VA's claim process but that's only based upon my own experience. I've heard horror stories about both VA and private doctors alike. For the extra $100 a month, I would have the option of getting private care if the VA wasn't up to my standards so that alone might be worth the piece of mind.

Q: What age does TFL take over and what is the cost? Also, would TFL be primary or secondary to medicare? Sorry...just trying to set a course for my so called "golden years" ...LOL!

LC

As for me, I decided to take part B, because it's really only $100 a month, and I just rather be safe then sorry later down the road. Plus, I like the fact that I can chose my primary doctor, because sometimes it's hard to deal with the VA.

Only my opinion.

Aggie