VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension...is This Enough To Win A Claim

Rate this question

killemall

Question

My initital entry test for bp was 118/57 in 1998

Dec 3 1999 my bp was 161/65

Dec 27 1999 my bp was 171/67

May 5 2000 my by was 164/66

May 14 2000 my bp was 167/70

There was no prior high bp prior to military service

I am currently prescribed medication by the vs and my personal Dr. For high bloop pressure.

Is this e bough for compensation at 10%

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

how exactly iS HIGH or Low BP determined, is there a scale that is used bt the med community,? is it based on age, gender, weight, ect.

I have considered filing a claim as well, based on high bp because of kidney removal, . my bp is borderline for need of meds, I was on a small dose of BP meds, but taken off of them. So I think my BP is still not normal. just not high enough to justify the risks of the medications. If someone knows wat constitutes high BP in va terms plz post, thanpnks.

Edited by 63SIERRA

38 cfr part four. Diagnostic code and rating criteria hypertensive vascular disease

http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/docs/regs/38CFR/BOOKC/PART4/S4_104.doc

Diseases of the Arteries and Veins

7101​Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic

​hypertension):

​Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more​60

​Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more​40

​Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure

​predominantly 200 or more​20

​Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure

​predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an

​individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100

​or more who requires continuous medication for control​10

​Note 1: Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

​Note 2: Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note 3: Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

thanks !!! I have my own machine I took 2 readings one was sys 126/dia 74 other was sys 115/ dia 74. not too bad for a 280 lb man wih one kidney and an ate up liver.

Edited by 63SIERRA

I am rated 0 for hypertension even with high numbers. When I saw my VA Dr. for the first time it was 182/125, she put me on meds that day. My Cardiologist Dr. also put me on more meds after the stent was put in. I do have another C&P coming up soon.

Hollis, if your BP is that high with medication you should be rated at 60% look at 38 CFR, 4.104, diagnostic code 7101.

I would submit a VA FM 21-526ez and request a re-evaluation for hypertension. Your medical records are with the VA so you don't need to enclose anything else.

when you complete the 526ez, make sure you complete each block. If a block doesn't apply, put N/A in the block.

You submit this form with a re-evaluation for HTN, I don't see this taking long at all.