VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Disability Pay And Retroactive Pay?

Rate this question

jet2die4u

Question

Within the last year my disability rating was increased to 40%. Of course this amount allows dependents to be considered in the payment amount. After getting notice of the rate increase, I applied to be compensated for the new monthly amount with dependents. Its been about nine months and I haven't heard anything. I was married and had my family while I was on active duty. My main question is .... if the decision is made for recognize my dependents, will I receive any back pay for the dependents? Thank you very much for your help!

I am currently waiting 20 months for my dependency claim to be "looked at."
I filed it 11/28/2012, 7 days after I was informed I'd been raised from 30% to 70% They had me as married, but without children.
I submitted the birth certificates and college transcripts several times online and via mail.

On 7/14/2013, I got this message on eBenefits: "The estimated completion date of 7/14/2013 is past due (Learn more)"
I had DAV send in two letters requesting some type of update -- those were ignored.

I called and got through today and was given the VA "Thank you for your service, but we have a backlog" speech.

She had no idea how long it would take and couldn't tell me how long they normally take,

I think I may have the record for this thread at 20 months waiting and still no activity.

Some of you are really lucky. I have a rating of 50% disability. VA removed my son on 18th birthday even though still in high school and graduated at age 20. Took two years to approve claim from 2011 to 2013. Audit was completed from the Navy Finance Center within two months and it was determined the VA owed me close to 3000.00. It has now been over four years since I started this claim and I am still waiting on my back-pay despite repeated trips to Indianapolis and a letter to my congressman. I believe I will not get paid till the next president goes in office.

AM1(AW) USN Retired

You will definitely get it retro...eventually.

For Both my kids I submitted their dependent claims on ebenefits the day after they were born. It took 8-12 months to get it finalized....

I went online and added depedant (spouse). A week later I got a form in the mail from the VA with the increase in pay. I have not received backpay yet but I was surprise how fast I got the letter.

I have been trying to the right answer for my dependent retro payment. I submitted mine on 26 Sept 2011 two weeks after i got my pension,i got approved last Feb. I was told that I submitted my claim a year after I got my pension that I applied in Jan 14. I told them to look at my history and they will see when I first applied. I called for the last  year and a hlf and got different stories. Finally I got some to see the pic, they told me that I send the paperwork this past Jan and I ex[lained to them I sent it with the original paperwork, not my fault when they found. I told them that I recieved the letter on how much they held from the beginning when I got approved, they said I did not appeal, I said why would I appeal what you owe me, so they go by the start date or when they recieved the paperwork, ie birth and marriage certificate.