VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New: Update Dependents Online Now

Rate this question

OIFVet

Question

Well, my claim, like others, processed without my dependency status...

I submitted on ebenefits an updated form through the upload documents in the claim section and also mailed the form. Neither seemed to gain traction.

Well, I recently noticed a new feature on ebenefits. There is a section now for the purpose of updating dependents. Two ways to get to it once logged in: Click on Apply for Benefits > Add Dependents OR Click on View My Status > General > View Open or Submitted Applications

I did this and it was processed in less that 24 hours and my monthly payment amount in my benefit letter online is updated to the correct amount. Now to see if and when the retro dependent pay comes...

I've seen others with comments about dependent issues so hopefully this might help you!

that's nice to know. I've never been a believer of that site but you are the 4-5th veteran to say they did that process and it was done in a couple of days. That's some great news!

I believe in automation because you get to key in your information (versus someone else if they don't lose your form). Plus the system will continue to remind them they have pending work to do. Versus a paper on a desk in a pile of other papers that doesn't provide any form of reminders and really has no oversight.

The problem with their FDC process online is the file size limit is 5MB. If like me...vets have a LARGE medical file, you would have 1,000 5MB files to upload. I have my entire record scanned in about 15 files and each is about 50 MB. Their upload ability needs improving.

I'm still waiting on them to fix the Health Benefits Handbook portion. I have not been able to access that for several weeks now.

But I hope they continue to improve the site...it really is sad in 2014 we cannot have a better site already.

I believe in automation because you get to key in your information (versus someone else if they don't lose your form). Plus the system will continue to remind them they have pending work to do. Versus a paper on a desk in a pile of other papers that doesn't provide any form of reminders and really has no oversight.

The problem with their FDC process online is the file size limit is 5MB. If like me...vets have a LARGE medical file, you would have 1,000 5MB files to upload. I have my entire record scanned in about 15 files and each is about 50 MB. Their upload ability needs improving.

I'm still waiting on them to fix the Health Benefits Handbook portion. I have not been able to access that for several weeks now.

But I hope they continue to improve the site...it really is sad in 2014 we cannot have a better site already.

Great info. I'll check it out and give it a try!

Regarding the file size issue you have on eBenefits...Vets can actually submit IRIS specifically geared to improving the eBenefits site features. It actually is quite easy to submit with drop down windows, etc.

Not implying the VA doesn't have their plate full or that they will jump to find a fix but...they can't fix it if we don't tell 'em it's broke.

LC

Glad to hear that function is fixed, I tried to update on line 2 years ago for an 18 yo still in school and I ended up divorced with no children according to the VA. Took 6 months to get it fixed.

Best regards,

Question:

My daughter who is 17 who is a junior in high school will still be in high school until after she turns 18 and will be 19 after she graduates - birthday in Oct.

If she does not live with me currently am I entitled to disability compensation for dependency? She is living with my ex-wife. I am remarried now.

When should I update her status online and do I have to provide proof she is still in high school?

I also started the ebenefits apply for benefits - add dependent process online and now it states pending, will this cause issues?

Thanks