VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied On Depression.

Rate this question

Scout Swimmer

Question

Just got off the phone with my DAV POA, in which he informed me I was denied. He explained they looked at it as a single traumatic event or diagnoses from the military, not as a secondary to my TBI, in which my mental health practitioner clearly stated and which I have 45 pages of supporting evidence stating exactly that. The rep from the DAV told me it was written up wrong. He is talking with the rater as we speak to change it. I'm pretty upset.

PHIL recall when you were a teenager, before you would go out, you would go hit mom and pop up for some loot to take your girl out.

Ok you go to pop and ask for 20 dollars, knowing you wont get more than 10, but if you ask for 10 you might get 5.

Ok now you catch your mom away from pop, and ask her for 20 bucks. She says go ask your dad. You already went see dad.

Ok you leave, thinking you got the enough but not what you deserved, , because you got your 10 bucks, but in reality, They were working together, to give you what your dad decided you would get in the first place.

you just didnt know it.

THINK ABT IT.

Edited by 63SIERRA

Just got off the phone with my DAV POA, in which he informed me I was denied. He explained they looked at it as a single traumatic event or diagnoses from the military, not as a secondary to my TBI, in which my mental health practitioner clearly stated and which I have 45 pages of supporting evidence stating exactly that. The rep from the DAV told me it was written up wrong. He is talking with the rater as we speak to change it. I'm pretty upset.

what was written up wrong? who decided it was written up wrong, and when was this known?

What was written wrong- I have been seeing a VA psychiatrist for the last year. She diagnosed me with depression that was secondary to my service connected TBI. She told me to put a claim in, so I did back in Feb 2013. What was written wrong- I have no idea. All I know is it never was rated as a secondary to my TBI, which is documented. They denied me with this "no history or diagnosis of depression disorder in military service". WTF? When did this happen- All today. At noon I was still at prep for decision on ebenefits going on 70 days. I called my DAV rep who informed me of all this. He said a mistake was made and he would see the rater personally, and that he would call me back today or Tomorrow. Then later that day I noticed my claim went straight to complete.

Suggest you wait to receive the official claim decision by mail before jumping to a conclusion based on ebenefits or the word from your VSO at the DAV. Sounds like your claim may have been rated by an inexperienced rater to me but I'd wait a few days until I saw something in writing.

In the meantime, check your bank account daily to see if a larger than normal deposit is made. This happens sometimes before an official letter arrives! Take a breath or two and stay positive! Keep us posted...

LC

I think it's a done deal. I did the VONAPP benefits thing. It listed my claim as not service connected. I think I will just end up hiring a lawyer since my VSO let something so obvious slip past him. Makes me wonder if he even looked at it before it went to the rater.