VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Groups Worry Retirement Cut Is Just The First Step

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

WASHINGTON — With Congress back this week, veterans groups are vowing to resume their fight against trims to military retirement benefits.

But what they’re really fighting for is relevancy, and to make sure the country hasn’t forgotten about them.

Military advocates worry that Congress’ willingness to attack veterans’ retirement checks shows that lawmakers — and perhaps the public — have already moved on from the wars of the last decade, and that the sacrifices and promises made will be forgotten.

“This is what happens when you have an unengaged population whose focus starts to shift away,” said Tom Tarantino, chief policy officer for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America. “When times get tough, people say everyone has to sacrifice. But not everyone has been sacrificing for the last 10 years.”

Read the full article:

http://www.stripes.com/veterans-groups-worry-retirement-cut-is-just-the-first-step-1.260750?=&utm_source=Stars+and+Stripes+Emails&utm_campaign=Daily+Headlines&utm_medium=email

Don't worry the sky is not falling

Edited by pacmanx1

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

After Vietnam the VA did cut benefits in the form of a new and much weaker G.I. Bill. After WWII the G.I. Bill was better than it was for Vietnam vets. It can happen, and I believe it will happen once the current wars are in the rear view mirror. The All Volunteer military is a tiny 1% of the population.
After WWII nearly 20 million people served and they had clout. To cut current retied pay for those under the regular retirement age is the first step. If the DOD and congress can get away with they will be knocking on our doors because we are just about 1% of the population as well. Do you trust VFW and DAV to really protect your benefits? I don't. They don't even have a PAC. The NRA has 100 times the clout of all the VSO's because they can deliver the vote. The vet population is shrinking fast.

John

It certainly isn't for lack of politicians trying. . What with all the veterans around, if they aren't voting their rights, then they are going to eventually lose them. Historically, though, threatening to cut VA benefits has been sabre rattling.

• HadIt.com Elder

Broken

I see what you are saying and agree in part, but let us not get too comfortable. There are many in congress who praise vets all the time, yet they would cut our benefits if they could get away with it. I think we should be getting twice as much in disability compensation as we do since unless you have decent SSDI your 100% from the VA is less than median family income even if you get money for dependents. Median household income is $50,000 in the USA. Not many vets get that kind of compensation. If you think about it half of American families live on less than 50,000 grand. In 1980 50 grand a year was good. In 2014 it is squat. I could not buy a house in my neighborhood for that kind of money.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

I do foresee them trying to cut TDIU, for those at retirement age. I believe they already have a study committee/team working on it. VA Comp is supposed to help supplement the income of those on Comp, to make up for their loss of earnings but it doesn't take into consideration their loss of retirement benefits. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

When I got TDIU I lost a lot of money in my pension because the disability pension included COLA, but not contractual raises. I would have continued to work because I was making 50 grand a year in 2001 and had 8 weeks of annual leave each year. Also, I missed the Thrift Savings Plan opportunity to contribute money, and also get 5% from USPS as their share. I am 90% and age 64 where do I get another job? If I lose TDIU I have to subsist on small pension and SSDI, so my income would be cut drastically and my wife loses ChampVA. That means we must keep expensive family plan insurance even when she gets medicare.

Of course, I do have other irons in the fire. I always do since I always must. Perhaps if they want to save money they will drag every 100% vet back in for an exam. They could reduce all and see who puts up a fight, and who rolls over, and dies. In the 1980's when Ronnie Raygun was Prez they tried to do this as I was a potential victim myself at the time. I am glad I put in for 100% back to 1971 so maybe I will get lucky even if they take away TDIU. I would sure do all I could to fight that dumb idea. If cuts are allowed to happen it will turn veteran community against each other because everyone is going to ask "Why Me"?. This is why we should watch each other's backs.

How many TDIU vets are there out there? If a guy just has SSDI and they take away his TDIU and he is only 70% he/she will be in the poor house.

John