• hate-ads-subscribe-now.jpg

• Ad
  • Ad
  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ad

I ran across this interesting website. It contains quite a lot of great information but, for Blue Water Sailors, you can track any typhoons you ran through in a given year. Obviously, the storms of interest would be the ones that traveled into and through Vietnam. There's no doubt the sea and seabed would have been heavily roiled and any dioxin laden material would have been suspended in the water for quite a long time and who knows how far it would have traveled. I wish I'd seen this site while my claim was still at the VARO, or at least, the BVA. It would certainly add ammunition to go with the RAN study and the ensuing IOM confirmation of that RAN study.
There were, for instance, 26 in '70, 36 in '71 and 31 in '72, the years I spent full tours. My short stint over there in '73 had none in the 45 days I was there.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Berta
      I had a brief comment at my profile from a new member.
      I will let everyone know ASAP if the Seceretary adds anymore new presumptives to the AO list.
      Also any vet with bladder cancer who fits into the Camp LeJeune regs here:
      should file the claim that way.
      Also if an IMO IME doctor ( an oncologist) makes a very strong nexus for the bladder cancer ,having no etiology but for AO exposure, and uses some  medical abstracts/treatises to bolster that statement the veteran might succeed in gaining comp for it.
      This BVA award shows what I mean:
      "In sum, the medical evidence of record is at least in equipoise as to whether the Veteran's bladder cancer is a result of his exposure to AO while in Vietnam; therefore, resolving reasonable doubt in favor of the Veteran, service connection is warranted for bladder/urethral cancer. 38 U.S.C.A. § 5107; 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102. ORDER Service connection for bladder/urethral cancer is granted."
    • By hawkfire27
      Please delete
    • By Victor Ray
      A local Kansas City man is suing the VA for $35 million in a malpractice suit, in my words basically, he was treated for 10 years of being misdiagnosed for a mental condition that he didn’t actually have, and it cost him his pilots career. Anyone can google it for accurate details. 
      I made medical treatment record requests while on active duty months before my discharge, but were told they were all lost in transit from Vietnam, when I was medivac’d out. What I did receive at discharge was Form DA 3349 showing P-3 permanent profile for permanent defects under “physical capacity and stamina”. I had what we call now, Chloracne, Porphyria Cutanea Tarda, Upper Respiratory Infections with undetermined organisms, Group A Streptococcus, vision problems with eye aches, Migraine Headaches, abnormal Liver and kidney issues with urinating blood, uncontrolled pruritus, insomnia, urticaria, rashes, unexplained fevers, heart palpatations, abdominal pain and cramps, severe bone pain, and on and on.
      I was stuck thousands of times by mosquitos, ate or almost ate some nasty uncooked/undercooked fish, besides drinking nasty water. I probably had Liver Flukes, Filariasis, or Malaria or all of them because I was in a coma most of a week a few months after discharge, and I never recovered from RVN Service.
      My treatment records NEVER WERE LOST, but they were withheld for 45 years, and 6/7 months still are, plus all of them from Japan, about 4 days of test results. The VA has withheld the missing documents and medical board proceedings per FOIA EXEMPTION 5 for a year or two, but now say they mistakenly  spoke when said they were withholding them in the two or three reply’s from FOIA Requests. I still have not received the records I have requested, such as pay records, morning reports, and I am at the point that I actually may need an attorney. I am being reconsidered now, but I was deceived and had no evidence for a disability claim before I was discharged. Being naive and 21, and never doubting the integrity and honesty of the Army or VA, I couldn’t see how I would ever get a disability claim approved. I barely had proof that I was even in Vietnam, but now have proof of a 28 day straight stay in the infectious disease wards. SHOULD I TRUST THE VA TO MAKE THIS RIGHT, OR DO I CONTACT THE ATTORNEY HANDLING THE $35 Million dollar suit? Sorry for being long winded, but a little history makes it clearer. It’s going on four years with Line of Duty, and 100% Direct Service Evidence, but only recently given 70%, but  denied 100% Service Connection that was due in June 1971.Thanks again. 
      Victor Ray
    • By Blueboy
      The BWNVVA counsel is afraid to bring these actions because “I don’t want to piss them off” [leadership]. My thought is who cares if we piss them off. They have let us hang and denied passage of the Blue Water Navy Bills for at least 10 years. Although discharge petitions have not been very successful in the past, some have done what they intended. The thought of embarrassing the leadership is fine with me. They should be embarrassed! Pissing them off does not affect the outcome of the BWNVVA bill status, because we will lose nothing. We do not have presumptive status. Congress denies us at every turn. Since that is a fact we lose nothing. Perhaps this will turn it around. We can keep begging for our rights for another 10 years, or bring this to closure now. Let it be known that I do not represent the BWNVVA in any capacity.
      It's not clear to me whether a discharge petition was used in 1991 for HR 566. I do know there was a suspension of the rules to bring it to the floor for a vote. Whatever you call it, the bill was passed unanimously in both the House and Senate.
      "A discharge petition is a means of bringing a bill out of committee and to the floor for consideration without a report from the committee and usually without cooperation of the leadership by "discharging" the committee from further consideration of a bill or resolution.
      563 discharge petitions were filed between 1931 and 2003, of which only 47 obtained the required majority of signatures. The House voted for discharge 26 times and passed 19 of the measures, but only two have become law. However, the threat of a discharge petition has caused the leadership to relent several times; such petitions are dropped only because the leadership allowed the bill to move forward, rendering the petition superfluous. Overall, either the petition was completed or else the measure made it to the floor by other means in 16 percent of cases."
      PL 102-4 Actions H.R.556 — 102nd Congress (1991-1992)
      Received in the Senate, read twice, considered, read the third time, and passed in lieu of S. 238 without amendment by Yea-Nay Vote. 99-0. Record Vote No: 9.
      On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by the Yeas and Nays (2/3 required): 412 - 0 (Roll No. 16).
      For more information go to
      Text: https://www.congress.gov/bill/102nd-congress/house-bill/556
    • By Victor Ray
      I have come to learn my medical evidence was withheld all my life due to "ANTICIPATION OF LITIGATION", from what I gather, and the VA used a couple FOIA EXCEPTIONS OR EXEMPTIONS in withholding them. I am asking why the VA would anticipate me suing them before I even got discharged? Just asking. Thanks
      Victor Ray
    • By Victor Ray
      Like Shipyard7 it's been a long battle for vendication and will be longer to accomplish what needs to be corrected. I should have been medically retired with full pay, full medical for life, full Exchange privileges, and everything a completely disabled veteran is entitled to as of the day before left Vietnam with a Form DA3349 declaring I was permanently defective in the body organs and systems preventing me from performing at full capacity except for short periods. The P-3 is permanent and supersedes all other profiles.
      i tried for several months to get any medical records I could while still on duty, but was told for 3 months they were lost. THEY NEVER WERE. I was in the Mekong Delta and was eaten alive by Mosquitos, but had bone pain, abdominal pain, liver pain, acne, heart rate as 90 bpm to 60 bpm at rest. I was hospitalized in Vietnam 21 days then medivaced to Japan for more tests. Those records are lost or withheld, but I was told I was the 5th guy to come out of Vietnam with urticaria to that degree, and they don't know what caused it in any of the previous cases either, but the others went home and seemed to improve, so I was going home too. I was released out of Great Lakes Naval Hospital about a week later, and sent "HOME AWAITING ORDERS", knowing I was going to be separated. I had over six months active and well over 30% disabled, so it meant full pay retirement, full medical and dental, eye care for me and family, full Exchange privileges, but instead I was deceived, retained on duty to deprive me of those benefits because the Agent Orange issues needed to be hushed, downplayed, not talked about and kept out of public view. I continued to deteriorate al the time even after being discharged. Two months later I was in a coma or comatose state for days, but may have been a week. 
      My conditions are permanent and were well over 30% so it would be total. It should have been P & T from the day I left Vietnam, 46 years, 1 month,  20 days. Having my records withheld all my life, kept me from seeing the evidence, or showing the conditions to another doctor, and the VA refused to treat me as well. This was a bad case of hide this guy because he "IS the evidence" and I was ignored, downplayed, turned away, but should have been on the nightly news, every night until a settlement is reached. I haven't gotten any truth yet, but did get some "altered records." That came from the VA itself". Tont at the VA said some of these looked suspicious, like they are altered, and I said thank you, thank you, thank you. That's exactly what I have been telling everyone, but no one listening. Three years of daily calls to St. Louis and still working at vindication. I had chloracne and a half dozen other conditions that are now presumptive, but the hired gun examiner said I had atopic dermatitis with generalized Pruritus.
      shipyard7, when did you initially file? Congratulations 
      victor ray
    • By Victor Ray
      How can the rating officers make completely false statements, and those overseeing those decisions answer to no one, totally unaccountable to anyone. They are "untouchable", and I no longer believe any of the regulations, UCMJ, or any other regulations. It is the biggest farce ever pulled on veterans, and one form after the other can continue for a lifetime, and sometimes does. I hate to have this attitude, but after what I have seen over the last three years, you realize that things are exactly as they appear to be. When you feel deceived, you are. When a file is missing, it was intentionally removed. When a record can't be found, it was destroyed. You are not imagining things, and you are not delusional, but you are being played for the suckers. Your research, documented illness, injury or disease, your evidence of occurring in service is useless if the VA doesn't want to man up. It will just lie, like the WACO, TX VARO, and finding an honest judge may be impossible. I have been told by the TX varo that the Army's own medical documents don't exist. I have them because they gave them to me after 46 years, but they don't exist if the VA doesn't want them to. I have learned a lot, had my eyes opened to some real truths about our governments employees and how low they willingly go, and what they will do. Fake news, fake UCMJ, fake regulations, fake laws basically describes the VA because it is not accountable. Those you believe in at that administration office will be the first to gut you, to deceive you, and make sure you are deprived of any benefit, truth, or justice. This is more of a statement than a question, and I have actually answered myself. Do yourself a favor and get a lawyer, not a VSO. They are sales people. Do sales people work for you or the product manufacturers? Go buy a new car and see how hard that salesman fights for you a lower price from his boss. Think about it.   I don't need a response, I got it. Thanks.
      victor ray
    • By Berta
      This came up in the above thread and although the info on Nehmer is a signifiant amount here in the AO forum, this had to be clarified as it could be hard to find under a search.
      Nehmer class action members who are the survivors of a AO veteran, under the 2010 Nehmer Court Order (which  service connects IHD, Hairy Cell B, and Parkinsons in all incountry Vietnam veterans, do not have to file for substitution or accrued benefits when they file their AO DIC claim.
      All other surviving spouses of vets who had claims pending at death must file as substituted claimant or for accrued benefits within one year of the veteran's death. Accrued benefits are defined in detail here under a search.
      I took this definition from a BVA case, which made it easier for me to find:
      This is the regulation regarding Nehmer claims, which is defined as a retroactive payment, not an accrued payment::
      “I.  Retroactive Benefits
      The appellant contends that the Veteran's heart disease was due to Agent Orange exposure and, therefore,  retroactive benefits are warranted pursuant to the Nehmer decision. 
      This is not a claim for accrued benefits.  The RO, on its own initiative, sent the appellant a letter in March 2011 explaining that it was going to review the matter pursuant to Nehmer v. Veterans Administration of the Gov't of the U.S., 284 F. 3d 1158 (9th Cir. 2002).  The provisions of 38 U.S.C. 5121(c) and §3.1000(c), which require survivors to file claims for accrued benefits, do not apply to payments under 38 C.F.R. § 3.816, regarding awards under the Nehmer Court Orders for disability or death caused by a condition presumptively associated with herbicide exposure.  See 38 C.F.R. § 3.816(f)(2) (2015).
      1) Applicable Law
      Retroactive benefits may be paid under Nehmer if a Nehmer class member is entitled to disability compensation for a covered herbicide disease.  See 38 C.F.R. § 3.816. 
      Nehmer class member means: (i) a Vietnam veteran who has a covered herbicide disease; or (ii) a surviving spouse, child, or parent of a deceased Vietnam veteran who died from a covered herbicide disease.  38 C.F.R. § 3.816(b)(1).  If the class member's claim for disability compensation for the covered herbicide disease was either pending before VA on May 3, 1989, or was received by VA between that date and the effective date of the statute or regulation establishing a presumption of service connection for the covered disease, the effective date of the award will be the later of the date such claim was received by VA or the date the disability arose, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (c)(3) of this section.  38 C.F.R. § 3.816(c)(2). 
      The covered herbicide diseases are listed in 38 C.F.R. § 3.309(e).  See 38 C.F.R. § 3.816(b)(2).  This list includes ischemic heart disease, which was added to the list of covered herbicide diseases effective from August 31, 2010.  See 38 C.F.R. § 3.309(e); 75 Fed. Reg. 53202 (Aug. 31, 2010). “
      (this BVA claim for DIC was denied but still held the exact regulation regarding Retroactive Benefits which made it far easier for survivors to attain than trying to claim accrued if over a year had passed after the veteran's death)
      I recall here over the past 2 decades that we never dreamed the VA would ever compensate IHD for AO exposure.
      Certainly many and probably ALL  widows with a AO IHD death claim never could have filed for accrued benefits anyhow for AO IHD because there was no regulation for AO IHD prior to August 2010.
      The above claim was denied thus:
      "FINDINGS OF FACT 1. The Veteran did not have service in the Republic of Vietnam and is, therefore, not a Nehmer class member. 2. The current effective date of November 1, 2008, represents the first day of the month in which the Veteran's death occurred where the appellant's claim was received within one year after the date of his death."
      But it did contain a good explanation of Retro payments instead of "accrued" benefits, that Nehmer Class action members, as survivors, could expect even if an accrued claim had never been filed for AO IHD. 
      And just to add....many of us Nehmer Class action survivors were also Footnote One claimants.
      I have explained Footnote One here Many times since 2010 and added Rick Spataro's emails to me on it ( NVLSP Head AO lawyer) and all of that that is easily searchable here ( I hope) and was the most important and  unique aspect of Nehmer 2010.
      Agent Orange is still harming and killing our nation's veterans. But only those vets or their survivors as defined in the above citation from the BVA and in the  the Nehmer Court Orders are Nehmer class action members.
    • By KCAC
      I had searched and downloaded many old files working on my Thai AO claim and just got around to reading this old report.  I had not seen it mentioned previously than Eglin was a test site from 1962 to 1970 and Massive (their term) amounts of tactical herbicides aerial sprayed there including much Orange.  Attached is a very informative multiple 21 page PDF report.  On page PDF page 15 is this statement.  Since it was thought to be safe enough to drink (per a 1968 US Scientific report to the Military). I doubt any precautions were taken for base personnel as they did not take precautions when spraying  on any Military bases at the time. I see Dr Orange (Alvin Young) mentioned here as so often on any report over the past 40 years, taking his usual paid stance that Vets were not harmed by these dioxins.  I read this is that they only tested a square mile sprayed, long after the fact. Not that they only sprayed one square mile.  I think it highly likely they test sprayed far more than a square mile, if they were aerial testing.  In the Bricker report, they tested spraying at various altitudes, some much high than the 150 ft or so that later became the norm in Vietnam.  Again, this is pasted from PDF page 15 of the attached report.
      The Air Force Systems Command studied the ecological consequences of repetitive applications of massive quantities of herbicides from 1962 to 1970. The Command studied approximately one square mile at the Eglin Air Force Base Reservat on in Florida. During this period, 346,117, pounds of herbicides (including 160,948 pounds of 2,4,5-T) were spread on the test area because of aerial spray equipment testing programs. The January 1974 report was authored by Capt. Alvin L. Young, Ph.D; Associate Professor of Life Sciences, United States Air Force Academy"
    • By KCAC
      For Thai Vets, who the VA finally acknowledged were exposed to "tactical defoliants from Vietnam", code for Agent Orange since DoD denied for decades Agent Orange was used in Thailand. BUT ONLY ON THE PERIMETERS.  For those of you who have seen it freshly sprayed a few days or weeks later, take a look at these 2 short Military Videos shot at U-Tapeo RFAFB.  The first was shot in 1969 showing from the air, the new automated dining hall directly on the flight line.  If you read the description by the website, criticatpast.com you will see they refer to "red clay" and when you look at the 90 sec clip or whatever it looks like entire area is red clay soil.  The second video shot from the air in the same area of the base, shows the initial constuction project in the same fashion and you can clearly see since U-Tapeo is directly on the coast, there is no red clay.  I contend when you see the pattern of the red, it is showing defoliants sprayed all around the area of the flight line and this new dining hall.  There are many videos on this site on U-T and the first one is the only one with this red orange color throughout it.
      I have found pics of AO sprayed in Vietnam and it is close to the color in the Thai video, it looks like part in the picture was recently sprayed vegetation, part had been sprayed in the past and was toast and part had never been sprayed.
      1969 video of new dining hall, note they say red clay all around exposed during construction.  No other film on critical past show red clay anywhere on coastal U-Tapeo. I contend the area was defoliated as I went to this base often TDY from 1970 on.  Never saw any clay, red look or much vegetation anywhere near flight line. Just sandy soil.   Anyone who has been to U-Tapeo after this dining hall was built, likely ate there. 
      1966 video of initial USAF construction at U-Tapeo.  Nothing like the look of the above video.  
      pictures of Agent Orange in Vietnam - new dining hall 1969 (2) - base in 1966 in same area (3)
      There are 1000s of pictures on criticalpast and elsewhere on the internet.  The only ones showing this red orange color are these shot of the dining hall.  All others, in all years show little vegetation and light sandy soil.
      Any thoughts of anything else used that could get this color during this dining hall project?

• Our picks

• I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 
    • e-Benefits Status Messages 

Claims Process – Your claim can go from any step to back a step depending on the specifics of the claim, so you may go from Pending Decision Approval back to Review of Evidence. Ebenefits status is helpful but not definitive. Continue Reading
      • 0 replies
    • I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang
      • 15 replies
    • Feb 2018 on HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran. Sharing top posts and a few statistics with you.
      • 0 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67.