VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Ebenefits Down Again? ?

Rate this question

Shyne-I

Question

This is another method to keep everyone from knowing there status of claim info!

Being a nonadversarial agency where every possible interpretation of law is decided in the Veterans' favor, I doubt the 46 VSO pit bulls will permit a major revamping of the claims filing procedure that relegates it strictly to an electronic means. Obviously, time is of the essence in some cases. In others, access to electronic format is compromised by homelessness or age. Clearly, an 80 year old Vet with no knowledge of computers would be left out of this. Likewise, a homeless Vet would not necessarily have access to a filing portal. I suppose VA will try to argue their way around it but Congress will undoubtedly put their collective foot down. Can you imagine a horde of unemployed VSO service reps?

VA is notorious for attempting to help us with the right hand while simultaneously disenfranchising us with the left. Every new interpretation of law recognized at the CAVC in the last twenty six years has had an equal and opposite reaction by the VA Secretary via 38 CFR regulations to "fix" the new legal epiphany. Witness the impending death of informal claims. With the new electronic jungle comes an instant awareness of what they are attempting. Subterfuge by using the Fed. Register to announce new changes to 38 CFR does not succeed the way it did in the past. With NOVA and NVLSP attorneys in the vanguard, they have a harder time steam rolling over us.

Always remember the ebennies avenue is still an option and not a requirement. The IRIS system remains the only way to garner useful information in a timely manner that is actually meaningful. As for the 800 Prize Redemption Hotline, well, there are always optimists who believe in the VA tooth faery.

a

ive been telling yall, the computer did it is coming. blame the computer is a rock solid tactic.

Unfortunately this is a scary reality. However, it's the same game only a different mechanism is being used to do damage. Call me old fashioned, but I, like some others, still prefer the good old fashioned mail system. I must admit I am techno junkie, iphone, iPad, MacAir and all the new electronic gizmos that' are supposed to make my life easier. But the old way is still the most reliable. Just goes to show when you rely on convenience sometimes there is a price to pay. This makes 3 times for me dealing with government entities compromising my info. Once with files thrown in a public dumpster, once with a stolen laptop, and now this, my private information compromised out on the web. My sincere hope is that some heads roll for this, that they acknowledge their flaws, and ACTUALLY do something other than issue a shallow apology. It is time for ACTUAL changes and ACCOUNTABILITY for your INADEQUACY! Sorry folks don't mean to go on a bandwagon.

Edited by arng11

I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a moment. I'd recommend everyone relax for the time being. There's no real proof that a massive disclosure of private information has occured. Clearly, some anecdotal reports describe the ability to access information other than your own on the site. The site has been taken offline to limit the damage and track the culprit; either inadvertent or nafariously planned. Obviously, there's reason to be concerned but wrenching your hands at this point is self flagellation. I have no doubt that the powers in charge are taking the problem seriously and investigating.

However, the plain truth is, when any organization compiles a reserve of personal information of such breadth and size as this there is always the risk of intrusion or error. At the risk of sounding pessimistic, the only thing you can rely on as prologue is more failures to safeguard your data.

Edited by AmicusBrief