VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had My Ptsd C&p Yesterday...

Rate this question

Wolfhound88

Question

Hmmm....brought up a lot of things that I hadn't talked about for a LOT of years, and in turn brought out a lot of emotions. No outbursts or anything, but I broke down I think six times. Told her about 6 or 7 incidents in combat. It wasn't so much talking about the things that happened, but things that have happened in my life since then. No contact with family, no real friends at all, 2 failed marriages, a lot of wondering why my life just wasn't anything like "normal" people.

Long story short, at the very end, the Psychologist (she had been with VA for twenty years treating PTSD patients, and now a VA contracted examiner) told me that she has no doubt that I have been suffering with PTSD for 20+ years and that it has greatly affected my life. She also stated she believed that I had secondary depression caused by the PTSD. She even told me that she thought it may be good for me to have some other type of income from the VA so I could take the time to actually take care of myself, rather than work...Suggested that I might look into a voluntary six week, intensive inpatient treatment for PTSD at the VA...

I'm thinking I might get rated for PTSD. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Very good chance!! So sorry to hear about your difficulties over the past several years. But sounds like your exam went well. As everyone here will tell you, it is your responsibility to research and submit anything that could assist a rater in adjudicating your claim with a positive decision. Don't depend on ANYONE to do this work...not a lawyer, not a VSO, not anyone but you. Not trying to be mean spirited brother...I speak from my own personal experience as others can opine how they like.

I hope you visit this site often as there is much info posted here as well as some very knowledgeable people. Gather your info, ask for opinions but use YOUR own best judgement in moving forward.

I wish you nothing but the best. Here to help if I can.

LC

Thanks LC! There were more things that we talked about at the exam as well, my thoughts just get jumbled a lot. I've been treated and medicated off and on basically since I got out for anxiety and depression, and I told her about that as well. I've actually been a member here for a few years, but don't think I ever posted. There is a LOT of good information here! I've looked here a lot, but usually have a hard time concentrating, so in the past, the thought of even starting the process to get rated for PTSD was just overwhelming, to be honest.

I finally went to the VA back in April and got registered in the system, then they started sending me letter after letter about appointments and to be honest, it was just so overwhelming I didnt even know where to start. I didn't go to any of them... :( Then out of the blue about two weeks ago I got a FED EX on my door for ONE appointment...The PTSD C&P. ONE appointment I could do, so I went to it. I think the report will go pretty well. I think they already have my other medical records from private physicians in the past, at least I hope so. It sounds so silly, but just the process of getting those alone was pretty overwhelming to me. Part of my problem...things that would seem easy for normal people to do just get so overwhelming at time!

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond! :)

Thanks Navy! I was nervous as hell too! I felt a lot better after I left. Now the waiting game begins, uggghhh! Good luck with your exam results as well! I need to connect with my VSO and let him know that the exam is done. Hopefully he might be able to move my stuff forward a little bit.

Wolfhound88,

I can relate how you feel having to revisit traumatic events of your life to a total stranger. I experienced the same emotions as you explained in your post. Having a hard time concentrating, etc. If you have a good VA Psychiatrist as I did he/she will make you feel at ease and eventually you will open up and release all that emotions, feelings, guilt etc. I went to the VA for two years seeing the psychologist and having a C & P exam that they finally rated me 70% for PTSD.

I don't attend any VA groups or anything, but am still employed, not because I need the income, it just helps me keep my mind busy and not thinking of recurring events when I was active duty.

Edited by Proudvet

Right on Proudvet, I agree., and thanks! It was hard at first and I was really nervous, but she was pretty empathetic and it was easier to open up to her once it got started. I was a little worried too about the work thing and how it may affect my PTSD claim...I've got to stay busy, it has always helped to keep my mind off of things. It's easier when I stay busy to avoid thinking about other things. Plus...the courts wouldn't really listen to any claims of PTSD if I wasnt paying child support. I even told the lady that at my exam...She asked about work, and I told her I had to work no matter how hard it was because if I didnt, I wouldnt have been able to make it to the exam because I would be in jail, LOL. It's just a wait and see now!