VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefits Pulling Up Someone Else's Information

Rate this question

jfarr22384

Question

I just logged onto benefits account and it pulled up all the claim past and present including home address and payment information for a Charles Allen Tanner. I cannot believe my credentials somehow got me access to another account. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm wondering if someone now has access to my personal information

SERIOUS UPDATE:

Just saw a story on my local ABC 11 newscast at 4:30pm regarding a breach of information on the VA ebenefits website. The investigative reporter named Jon Camp interviewed a veteran from Durham, NC who experienced the same issues many here have reported last night. In the news report, the veteran called the VA, DOD, and Senator Kay Hagen's office in effort to inform them of the breach so they could take the site down...ALL IGNORED THIS VET.

Sounds familiar, huh? I apologize to all for my comment (#6 of this thread) as it was unprofessional and insensative to make light of this they way I did. I also sent a private apology directly to Radio_Dog last night.

Hope the silver lining will be that this raises awareness as to how unresponsive the VA has been regarding ALL THE ISSUES we have had with this crappy website. Also hope no vet winds up suffering what appears to be a legitimate info breach. Suggest all stay off eBenefits until the "all clear" is sounded.

LC

P.S. - Here is the reporter's info. If anyone wants to contact him directly to relay your experience regarding the breach. He will keep your info confidential if you ask him...Highly advisable, especially if you have pending claims or business with the VA.

I look at it this way. If Lauren Price can stand up and fight the VA in the final years of her life, we have a duty to report the info about this horrible breach...just sayin.

LC

Jon Camp

Reporter

mobile: 919.972.1234

twitter: @JonCampABC11

jonathan.camp@abc.com

ABC11-WTVD

319 Fayetteville St., Suite 107

Raleigh, NC 27601

Edited by Loose Cannon

If this is an actual security breach look to the Syrian Electronic Army as the prime suspect. Frankly, I 'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I've read elsewhere that Peggy is requesting account holders that experienced the data disclosures to contact them with specifics. The source also indicated that Peggy was offering credit monitoring for those involved. If true, someone's got some splaining to do. Hopefully, its a limited internal error and we're not going to start seeing soldier's records appear on some Middle Eastern website.

Has anyone heard anything else about this? This is baaaad, and I have not seen or heard anything from the VA or even in the news locally concerning this! I know they are required to notify people in a certain amount of time when something like this happens. I noticed the site was completely down when I tried to log in this morning.....

Has anyone heard anything else about this? This is baaaad, and I have not seen or heard anything from the VA or even in the news locally concerning this! I know they are required to notify people in a certain amount of time when something like this happens. I noticed the site was completely down when I tried to log in this morning.....

I spoke to the local news reporter in Raleigh, NC tonight. His name/info is above. They have confirmed on their 6pm newscast that the VA has responded to their question and have admitted there was a breach. The VA told Jon Camp they have no further comment.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/html5/video?id=9396431&pid=null&section=null

This could be big...Stay tuned to your major networks. Once they get word of it they will run with this story. Call Jon Camp at Channel 11 News. Don't just take my word for it...no hard feelings here:-)

LC

Edited by Loose Cannon

I contacted the IG, AG, my representative and the local news this morning with everything I experienced with the site last night. When I logged on yesterday to ebenefits with my credentials I had full access to other vets personal information. I was concerned enough to reach out to make sure this was stopped. Who knows how far all this will go, hopefully things change for the better and no vet feels a negative impact from this.

Loose Cannon - I read your comment (#6 on this thread) and to be honest I was upset because I experienced this first hand, but I commend you for acknowledging your mistake and apologizing...Semper Fi brother

Your very much welcome Tashfish, glad I could help someone out.

Edited by jfarr22384