VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lodging At Dod Facilities For Tdiu Veterans

Hello Folks,

Not sure if the topic/thread is a good fit for this sub-forum, but I could not find any better fit.

Recently I got my TDIU rating, and alongside my new rating come some extra benefits, such as lodging at Bachelors Party/Billeting, etc, in military installation in the US and overseas for a much lower rating of a hotel/motel. So I was wondering whether anyone around here would have used such perk before; and how easy, available, and accessible would it be. I am mostly considering spending some time in Germany. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

tk3000

Edited by tk3000

Great point you bring up!

Not sure if it will work on (other than apple devices) but there's a great app called "Take-A-Hop" that I've found very useful. Perhaps they have an an Android op system compatible version out as well if that's your thing.

I've flown "AMC Space-A" several times and the savings can be amazing...Just make sure you can be flexible with your travel plans. Good luck and make sure to send us some pictures!

LC

I have stayed at Elmendorf AFB, AK and will stay on some some Navy Island off of Virginia soon. But, every time I called, they ask me if I was 100% P&T and had my Brown ID card. They said they needed that. Loose Cannon are you retired military? I hope that I'm wrong, but I called the Air Passenger Terminal at Lackland/Kelly, and they said all Disabled Vets were not qualified, only ones that retired. tk3000 please call the place you want to state, and verify what I'm saying, I have been know to be wrong, just not too many time.

Papa

Great point you bring up!

Not sure if it will work on (other than apple devices) but there's a great app called "Take-A-Hop" that I've found very useful. Perhaps they have an an Android op system compatible version out as well if that's your thing.

I've flown "AMC Space-A" several times and the savings can be amazing...Just make sure you can be flexible with your travel plans. Good luck and make sure to send us some pictures!

LC

Thanks! I will look into that app for android. Unfortunately, I can not fly AMC Space-A since I am not retired (there is a petition around to support that, and some lawmakers tried to pass legislation without success). Sure, I will send some pictures once I am there (keep finger crossed)!

I have stayed at Elmendorf AFB, AK and will stay on some some Navy Island off of Virginia soon. But, every time I called, they ask me if I was 100% P&T and had my Brown ID card. They said they needed that. Loose Cannon are you retired military? I hope that I'm wrong, but I called the Air Passenger Terminal at Lackland/Kelly, and they said all Disabled Vets were not qualified, only ones that retired. tk3000 please call the place you want to state, and verify what I'm saying, I have been know to be wrong, just not too many time.

Papa

Papa, I will put Elmendorf AFB, AK, in my future travel plans! I know that sort of thing varies: different locations with different policies, etc. I will call before, and double check everything.

Papa

Yes, I am a retired Marine. The person who told you disabled vets do not qualify wasn't as clear as they could've been on this issue. The following link answers frequently asked questions and provides current references.

http://www.amc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130808-039.pdf

Here's a link to the official AMC (Air Mobility Command) website...Great info here!

http://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/index.asp

Hope these links point you in the right direction. Happy Travels!

LC

P.S.- Important that people also realize most military aircraft that we will be flying on are not equipped to handle severely disabled folks (such as stretcher-bound, those using oxygen tanks, certain wheelchairs, etc.) simply because of ingress/egress & other safety reasons. These cases are not all inclusive so check the references and call or visit your specific departure/destination terminal to get official word as it applies to your circumstances.

Edited by Loose Cannon