VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver Monthly Stipend Question

Rate this topic

Here is a tough question I think?!?! First a little Background

80% SC Disabled

70% for PTSD

30% for Migraines due to TBI

10% Tinnitus

10% Right ankle residuals

I have in the last 2 months been put out of commission due to my headaches becoming a lot worse. Still trying to figure out treatment for it.

We are out of money from me not working Luckily my VA compensation covers our bills so we only need to make enough money to cover groceries, fuel and such. We are going to move to my wives parents place in Idaho the Spokane VARO. We are going to be staying in our 5th wheel on their property so we can at least have a little space. I am continuing treatment there.

My concern about applying for the Caregiver Stipend is that we will be living in our 5th wheel. It says that they will come to our residence to see how we live. Does anyone think this is a problem?

Also my wife will be working for her dad part time on days that I don't have doc appointments. Is this a problem? I can get by for a couple hours a day by myself on the days that i'm not feeling as bad as long as things are setup for the day such as food and clothes and stuff.

I'm just trying to be honest about where I am at right now medically so I might be able to get a solid answer. My wife was working full time but since i've been down and out she had to cut back to about 10 hours per week so she could help me out as much as she can.

Thank You in advance

Have you applied for TDIU and SSDI?

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/Caregiver_Eligibility_Check.asp

These two VA sites might help you with the info you need.

Berta,

Thank you. I have not applied yet. The DAV suggested filing a claim before the end of this month for an increase due to headaches. Not tdiu claim but a fully developed claim. He said wait until the end of the month so as many tests can be done as possible and if they approve the increase then it will be backdated the Feb. 1st. Also he said they will look at tdiu as part of an increase and it will be easier to get if I'm at 90% which is where I'd be if they grant be an increase to 50% for headaches.

I kind of want to wait to apply for SSDI until I get back to Idaho. I checked out the 2 websites you provided and I could not find an answer.

Berta,

Thank you. I have not applied yet. The DAV suggested filing a claim before the end of this month for an increase due to headaches. Not tdiu claim but a fully developed claim. He said wait until the end of the month so as many tests can be done as possible and if they approve the increase then it will be backdated the Feb. 1st. Also he said they will look at tdiu as part of an increase and it will be easier to get if I'm at 90% which is where I'd be if they grant be an increase to 50% for headaches.

I kind of want to wait to apply for SSDI until I get back to Idaho. I checked out the 2 websites you provided and I could not find an answer.

i got tdiu at 60 percent.

• 5 months later...

Im currently at 60% and I am awaiting decsions for increases on most of my issues

I have applied for the caregivers program twice and have been denied both times.

1st time my primary care dr. lied an didnt put the answer I gave,

2nd time I recieved a letter from the program stating that they had spoke with my ptsd dr. and due to his recommedation thats why I was denied.