VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Caregiver Monthly Stipend Question

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I would do as Berta suggests and apply for SSDI and TDIU now. The longer you wait the less money you will get in retro. Just be very sure the VA knows where your new address is at. They will send stuff to the old address and USPS will only forward that mail for one year. Don't move more than once during this process or your mail may get screwed up. Maybe mail the TDIU for the VARO for your new address now, and tell SSA that your new address is where you will be at until you get a decision. I applied for SSD and TDIU when I was 30%. The thing is if you can't work then apply. It is going to take a while anyway. 80% or 90% does not matter for TDIU or SSD.

John

Good question John....

The VA Caregiver program for post 9/11 service eligibility is explained here:

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/support/support_benefits.asp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi berta, I just have a quick question. For the Caregiver Stipend Benefit, will I have to do another C&P or do anything that will effect my rating? I'm currently at 100 percent P&T and I don't want to mess it up.

• 3 months later...

Sgt Ramos

You are more likely to get your questions answered if you start a new post, rather than ask a question in someone elses post because different Vets advoctates have different areas of expertise. I dont know anything about stipends, but there may be those who do.

Medic:

"Waiting" is probably not a good idea to file for benefits. Remember, your effective date will be the later of the "facts found" or the date VA received your claim. There may be some benefits for filing a FDC, but frankly, I doubt it, and your chances of getting all the tests you need before submitting before the end of the month are low, IMHO.

It may take VA multiple days to log your claim in the mail room, so waiting until the end of the month could well cost you a month of benefits if awarded. I see absolutely "zero" reasons to procrastinate...medical tests, if necessary, will be scheduled by VA, and the sooner you apply the sooner you will get your benefits. I dont know a single Vet who complains: "Gee, I dont know why they paid me so early, I was actually hoping to get my benefits much later and not now. I have way too much money anyway, so I would prefer to get my benefits at a later date.

I have heard exactly zero Vets say anything close to this.

Edited by broncovet