VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Torn Rotator Cuff -Surgery Needed Some Questions

Rate this question

malandroaz

Question

I have torn rotator cuff and it needs surgery. The injury while I was on duty and have a LOD on record. The injury happened to my dominate arm. I have not had surgery but right now I cant lift anything and hurt to hold up, barely move up to the side.

1. What % should I look for when filing since it is my dominate arm? (literally as of right now I cant talk on a cell phone with that hand without pain)

2. Since I cant use my dominate arm my left arm is doing all the work. Now the left arm is hurting from all the extra work the right arm cant do. Should I file this as well? I mentioned to my doctor but I will make sure i get it in writing as well.

What should you look for: service medical records noting what type of injury how extensive how limiting and make sure somewhere it says chronic something or other. Your LoD notes and X-ray report notes make copies. Review with VSO and don't do it alone. When VARO says they are responsible for getting military and VAMC records don't believe them. Also get copies of what is called C-file. Its your history and much of what the VARO will base its decision on. They do miss important information or it gets misplaced or overlooked. this is where you can fill in the gaps for them.

That's what I can offer by my experiences. There are others here that are much more aware than I am so keep checking

I tore my shoulder in OEF 2010 and I am going to have surgery in the next few months. You should get 10-30% for bad shoulder, and probably 10% for the other

Excellent topic. I had labrum surgery for my left shoulder (dominant arm) and they closed my claim without even addressing my request for increase. I was originally rated 10% shoulder sprain and bicep tendonitis.

I have had shoulder surgery twice on my dominant. The first time went well but 3 months later I was in an accident where our car flipped 3 times and landed upside down. I was left hanging with seatbelt holding me up. Once I recovered from other injuries I had cuff repair. It didn't hurt as bad the 2nd time but was a long recovery and physical therapy was a bear. Although I recovered well it still has never been as it was. It tires easily and I don't have the strength I had. You won't regret having the surgery but be patient with the healing process.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had shoulder surgery and I have never regained strength in that arm. I cannot even do a push-up because the weak shoulder and arm will collapse. I guess that is success? I don't even think the doctor knew what he was doing except it was under worker's compensation and he wanted a paycheck.

I have had two shoulder surgeries once on both need the left one done again for sure but not going to do it till I cant take it. Surgery is the easy part PT is a real bitch !