VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oxycodone/percocet Weaning Off Strict Policy

Rate this topic

Along with morphine (120 mg daily), take Oxycodone since 2007. last year VA Dr. reduced 30mg/325 a day to 20mg daily. Now due to VA POLICY, weaning me TOTALLY OFF the pain med, and will increase the long acting Morphine SO4.

Told my Dr. that percocet is VERY EFFECTIVE for pain relief, even compared to morphine. Not targeting me personally, but result of nation wide VA plan to eliminate the opiate pain killer.

NOT a good idea in my view....a blanket pain management policy where according to research, long acting pain meds are more effective according to my primary care. Scared about this to say the least.

subvet

90% SC/SSDI

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every now and then they try this bullshit, its all abt trying to save money. its nothing to do with your wellbeing ET all. I would ask your doctor to put it in writing that there is a nationwide effort BY VA to eliminate painkillers, so you can go to a private doctor to handle your needs.

I bet he or she wont do that. they want to make it look like it was a joint effort to get you off of them. IT ALMOST ALWAYS BOILS DOWN TO THE MONEY!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been on opiates for about 7 years. I get it all from the VA. Weaning me will be a real trip. If the VA says it is wrong to prescribe opiates long term then they have been committing malpractice on me for 7 years. I am sure my brain chemistry has changed after all this time.

John and Sierra, thanks much for replying. I may ask doctor for official notification...and I am sure brain chemistry is very effected.

Has ANYONE ELSE encountered this weaning off and absolute elimination of opiates in your pain management care. ?

if youve been on opiates for a long time, you are physically dependant, and mentally addicted to them. it DOES change your brain chemistry. 'You brain does not produces as much dopamine, and the receptors shut down. you will become VERY depressed if you stop taking them.

The va tries to act like its like stopping vitamins., wrong. Many people who were cut off log term pain meds, become herion addicts. thats what opiods are, heroin in pill form. It is all derived from the poppy plant. If you take a opiate pill, and soak it in water, then let it dry out, it looks brown, just like herroin does.

Big drug companies put this high powered drug in a pill form and call it pharacutical, they push doctors to write it, big money. all is well. things get tight and all of a sudden that herion in pill form is bad mojo. lets wean them off.

They dont give a rats ass, its all about saving the money, not the patient. imagine how many prescriptions go out a month for pain meds, for all of us broke ass soldiers, with back problems, neck problems, ect. it has to be enormous.

There could also be other factors involved. Lets say phiizer comes out with a new pill for fibromyalgia. They have hooked up with some big whigs at the va, and contracted to sell those for 12.00 a pill, where they were selling vicodin for 3.00 a pill. Va big whig awards them the contract to buy the 12.00 pill. HANDSHAKE, DINNER, COCKTAILS, AND KICKBACKS TAKE PLACE. WTF do you think they will have the doctors push now, the 12.00 hotdog, or the 3.00 hotdog?

Edited by 63SIERRA

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has tried to force me off opiates before. I fought it because they have nothing to replace the opiates with that works for me. Tell them if they force you off the opiates you will blow your brains out rather than suffer the pain. See how they react to that. Say if very softly and with serious and sad look in your eyes.

John