VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Maybe An Unusual Ptsd Question...

Rate this question

Wolfhound88

Question

Hey all,

I have a question that I wonder if some others may be dealing with, or have dealt with...

As I mentioned before in another post, after dealing with a lot of things over the years, (two divorces, complete separation from my family, anger, isolation,depression, anxiety,etc) I finally decided to reach out to the VA. They scheduled my C&P for January 14, which I went to and now of course I'm waiting to hear the results.

But my question is this...Did your C&P for PTSD make things WORSE??? I really think mine did...A lot of things came out during my C&P, and I lost it I think 6 or 7 times and just completely broke down. I guess things that I had become numb to over the years came out, and now I feel like I'm getting even more isolated and depressed, and in turn it has greatly affected my work over the last couple of weeks. To the point that I'm starting to get "talks" from my supervisors that I never did before. (Granted, I've only been at this job for 7 months)

Have any of you seen this?

Thanks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think it is often quite normal to be affected this way at a MH C & P exam.

As long as your claim matches the PTSD criteria here at hadit, in the PTSD forum I wouldn't worry about it.

You might want to try to find a vet center. I worked at a vet center decades ago in the PTSD Combat rap group. These were all vets already rated by VA for PTSD, most of them at 100%. They often broke down relaying war events that they never even told any VA doctor about.

And they always felt better afterwards because the other vets understood quite well how easy it was to try to 'stuff' it all.....or put it in a mental shelf they could lock ,but PTSD can rear its ugly head long after the fact,no matter how much they tried to 'forget'.

If the C & P was done at a VAMC (and not QTC) the records access officer there can send you a copy,if you make a formal request.

Thanks Berta :)

Based on what the contracted examiner told me after the exam, (She was a contracted examiner, but prior to that had been a PTSD Psychologist AT the VA for 20 years) I have a pretty good feeling that I may get a decent rating.

But, it just seems like my moodyness and isolation and depression is so much worse after the exam.

She suggested that I do a six week inpatient in Topeka for PTSD, and now after my exam I'm seriously considering it...Only rub is that while I would get the 100% while I am there, it really does me no good because I would lose my job and have nothing to come back to. Kind of a catch 22.

I have 6 C&Ps on Friday, including PTSD review. I am very nervous about his exam. I am so tired of having to rehash everything. I spent 3 months in a Mental Hospital in 2012 Wolf. It did not help me, but it was nice to talk to people that understand us.

Self-preservation is key; sometimes it takes drastic action but anything less than harming yourself can be a win even if it involves economic loss.

Just realize that work is not your mission; your mission is to have the best life possible for You.

So please get whatever help you may need at the time. :smile:

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you may be dealing with these repressed feelings now for the first time in many years. Are you getting help from your VA shrink? I would call your shrink and report these feelings. I don't know about 6 week in-patient, but if you have FMLA you could probably get away with it. Who exactly do you work for in terms of civilian or governmental job. The government has to abide by FMLA. Very small business does not always. I would try Vet Centers like Berta says. Often people drop out of therapy because it brings up painful things. This is what you must work through even though it looks bleak now. We are pulling for you!

John

Thanks everyone!

Right now I'm working in the private sector but I have only been here for 7 months, so I'm not eligible for FMLA yet. Currently on my second write-up...so one more and I'll be gone anyways. It's hard to work...but, I've got to otherwise the child support folks start knocking on the door. They could care less if I'm in a six week inpatient treatment, or out of work for that matter. I'm going to call the Leavenworth VA and see if I can get into something after work for now.

I have to say, just talking to everyone here has been more helpful than anything I've done in the past, and I thank all of you for that. :)