VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Compensation And Fdr At Same Time For Same Issue

Rate this question

killemall

Question

I became a federal employee in 2008. At the time I was rated 0% for hearing loss by VA.

In 2009 the VA rated me 20% for hearing loss

In 2011 the Va rated me 30% for hearing loss and 10% for tinitus for a total of 40%

In 2012 my federal police job had me do occupational medical testing. I failed the hearing test portion and was not successfully cleared for duty. I was instructed to do follow up checks. A Dr. Cleared me for duty as long as I wear my hearing aids and complted follow up apointments.

Now in 2014 I am considering to apply for federal disability retirment.

since my federal disability retirement claim will be for the same issuse as my va comensation of hearing loss...

Will this present a problem for my va compensation? Can you collect va compensation and FDR for the same disability?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Interesting. I'm in the same boat, Fed police officer - 0083. The VA performed surgery on my left shoulder, but it was failure. Now I can't get signed off by the flight surgeon to continue in my position. DAF is giving me "reasonable accomodation". Have you looked into that at all? I wouldn't want to retire, can't imagine the money being that great.

From the disability retirement considerations page on the OPM website:

• Your agency must certify that it is unable to accommodate your disabling medical condition in your present position and that it has considered you for any vacant position in the same agency at the same grade or pay level, within the same commuting area, for which you are qualified for reassignment.

Head over to your civilian personnel office and ask about reasonable accomodation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you are under FERS you must apply for OPM disability and SSDI. If you can get 100% or TDIU and OPM/ SSD then the money is OK. If you retire just on OPM and get SSD then you will be eating beans and an occasional hotdog. I make much more on TDIU than SSD and OPM combined. To get SSD you must not be able to do any sort of gainful employment. To get TDIU you must be unemployable due solely to your SC conditions. Are you retired military? If you are younger than 30 you will probably have a hard time getting SSD unless you are stone deaf. Depending on your age it is probably best to keep working and contributing to our TSD and to your SSA.

Ive average 60k to 63k over the past few years. So I would get 60% the first year and 40% the rest of my life.

40% of 60k is 24k a year for life. Ive got no prob with that

Im also a 0083.

• HadIt.com Elder

That 24k is fully taxable. Your insurance comes out of that if you keep any. Do you have a family? You really think you can get by on 24k a year. Where do you live? I want to go there. Do you have secret savings?

The best from the feds you can get under FERS is to get OPM and SSD because then you get medicare in two years. You want to keep the federal health insurance and life insurance if you have anyone you care about. I get SSD,OPM and TDIU. With that money I keep my head above water, but I have things like life insurance and other things to take care of my wife if I die before her.

If you house is paid off and you plan to drive your car until it turns to dust you may be able to get by on OPM retirement. I could not do it. I don't want to die poor or rotting in a VA nursing home where they turn you every few days until you die from bedsores and malnutrition.