VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Help Us Cope

Rate this question

usdart

Question

I thought it might be fun to share our personal ways of coping with our common ailment.

For me: I like to go fishing by myself. No boat, no hassles, just sit and teach worms to swim.

I also have a 32 year old Honda M/C that I am slowly reviving. It now runs VERY nice and only needs paint and tires to finish-er off. I ride in all the local Charity Motorcycle rides right along side all the bada** Harleys and such. I don't do the after parties but, I ride alone and love it.

If you think this is a good idea, jump in and let's help each other out.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think having a hobby like yours is great. Sometimes doing volunteer work can help you feel connected to the rest of society. I lost that feeling when I became TDIU.

Problem with Volunteer work for me is being around people.

Small children are OK for little bit then I get antsy and want to leave.

I choose hobbies that I can be alone and disconnect as much as possible.

I started gardening. It's useful, relaxing and more importantly a solo venture. It helps to be able to think of yourself as not being completely useless at life. I also am very 420 friendly I treat ptsd with that instead of all the "magic pills" they want to give me.

I agree with you US. I have not been out of my House much since I was medically retired last February. I live on one of the best Bass Lakes in America. I finally went fishing yesterday, no boat, just the Pole and Me fishing Lures. It was a beautiful day and it helped alittle, and my Wonderful Wife bought me a 1961 impala a month ago, looks like my Profile Pic, but 4 door and it needs work. So when I feel ok, I work on it alittle here and there. If my FDC and SSDI get completed soon, and go well, I plan on Volunteering at a Nursing Home around here, and get involved with a good Church, I hope.