VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Many Have Gotten A Letter From Department Of Veterans Affairs?

Rate this question

Shyne-I

Question

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering has anyone else received a letter from the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Information Securiy at the Deparment of Veterans Affairs(VA)? All the letter states is that my personally identifiable information was at risk of being viewed or possibly viewed by other Veterans, Servicemen or dependents. It states that on January 15,2014, during a process to improve software supporting the joint VA and DOD benefits protal(Ebenefits), VA discovered a software defect. On that day, 1,643 Veterans, Servicemen and dependents that registered and logged into eBenefits were able to see a combination of their own information as well as data from other eBenefits users.... Yada Yada Yada!!

It does not tell me how much of my information was accessed or even if it was accessed. This is the most non-descript bull.... I have ever read!! They don't admit any fault, wrongdoing, or regret. I just want to know who had access to my information and what did they see!!

They are just notifying me so that I may choose to take appropriate steps, (including those discussed below), to protet yourself against identity theft. Then they offer Free Credit Monitoring and tell me I can get my Free Annual Credit Report. Suggest Fraud Alert....etc...

Shyne-I

• HadIt.com Elder

Get the free credit monitoring if you are worried. The VA will continue to have data breaches until there is no more data. They are idiots just like Target and USPS and lots of other big organizations that are too cheap to adequately protect clients and customers. All of our credit and debit cards are easily hijacked along with SSA numbers. Nothing is secure.

I received the letter about a week after it first happened. I called the VA and accepted the free credit monitoring service. Just wait and see I guess

I received the same letter by mail last week. I opted to take the offer and am currently using the credit protection service. I have a paid service through another company and it compares to what I pay for. I am not at all pleased with the fact that this happened, but this kind of thing has happened before. The last time it was stolen laptop. The time before that it was PII thrown in the trash. At least this time they offered a free credit monitoring service and they notified me that my data had been compromised. That is a good step in the right direction, however, I'd be more at ease if this crap didn't happen in the first place.

I would suggest that people affected take the offer and monitor your credit. Better safe than sorry and it would give you some peace of mind.

Edited by arng11

Thanks everyone for your comments. I just wondered how many here on Hadit had been affected. I will accept the offer of the free credit monitoring even though I currently have another service as well.

Thanks again,

Shyne-I

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Checked the mailbox, but still no letter from the VA yet. Just keep in mind that their computer systems were designed and secured by the lowest bidder. :ph34r: