VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

$$Broke

Rate this question

ineedhelp

Question

I am in the process of a PTSD claim that I applied for in Oct 2013. I have reached the end of my savings ( I have not worked in 6 years ) and am trying to live off of $700 social security check. I am a 66 year old 2 tour Brownwater Navy Vietnam combat veteran. Here is my question: I was told by a veteran rep at the vet center that I would qualify for financial help thru the pension section of the VA because of my minimal income. My fear is that if I were to apply for this aid I may put my PTSD claim in some form of jeopardy, I don't get out much so I don't spend alot but I can't make it on $700 and I have run out of things to sell. PTSD is hell and if you couple that with not being able to pay your bills...well life is a bitch..thanks for any thoughts....

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was in the same situation with my claim so I called

Dept of Veterans Affairs

Office of Communications and Case Management

Washington, D.C. And got results really fast... I had already filed for a hardship with DAV in Houston. It was going through the "Process " to be flagged as hardship. I then called the tel# in D.C. On a Monday May 14, 2012 and on May 16, 2012 my claim started moving on ebenefits. Then on May 31, 2012 I received the big brown envelope. And the next day, money was in the bank. I spoke with a Mr. Hearne in Washington and faxed evidence to him and he then contacted Houston Varo. Call (202) 273-5674. Try to call early... If they take your telephone # down, they will call you back. Let me know how it goes, sounds like you more than qualify. Good Luck!