VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Opinions On Getting Lawyers

Rate this question

Endofrope

Question

I currently have 20% rating. I first received 10% in 2005 when I got out of active duty then in about 2010 after reopening claim it went to 20%. At that time I didn't understand how the process went.

This time around I was considering getting a lawyer through allsup.com or fight4vets.com. I wanted know others experience. I was told it helps the process and time frame.

What do you guys think?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Depends on your disabilities and your evidence. I do know that Allsup.com only takes the easiest of claims, that you could probably win by yourself. As to the time frame, I don't think using a lawyer will speed up the process. jmo

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Number one most can win their claim without a lawyer using Hadit if they have a claim. Second if you are nervous type and are unable to follow up than a lawyer may help a lot. It will cost you 20% of the money VA owes you in backpay. I sometimes wonder if the fee the lawyer hets goes up over 600 dollars a month if that is an incentive for the lawyer to dawdle.

Good Luck

Yeah I was thinking about filing my fdc and if I have to appeal (hopefully not) MAYBE look to get a lawyer.

And the same for ssdi.

Thanks for your feedback.

• HadIt.com Elder

You cannot get an attorney until you have a denial. You can use a VSO to rep you when you file a claim. Ensure that anyone that does help you is certified to do so.

Jbasser.

Tag, I have been using VSO and doing everything else on my own... with help from habit and other vets.

Some vets think I might not win physical injuries I suffered while I was in Iraq, but they think I will win on PTSD, depression, and TBI head injuries for sure.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if your claim involves legal arguments that are beyond your abilities to argue, or there is a ton of retro riding on a claim then getting a lawyer is probably a good idea if you get the right lawyer. I filed a CUE that goes back to my original rating in 1973. I did not have that much confidence in my understanding of all the problems and pitfalls with CUE's. I found out after hiring the lawyer, and going to hearing after hearing that my case was way too complicated for me to do by myself. Two trips to the COVA and now federal court a lawyer is a good idea, but not legally required. I do agree that most claims can be done by the vet with a little help. When you get into appeals and legal arguments then the VA can drive you crazy. If you feel that you are really in over your head that is probably the time to seek a lawyer. Getting 80% of something (100% minus 20% lawyer fee) is better than 100% of nothing. The lawyer can't make the VA move faster except by filing writs for you. That works at times.

The VA compensation system is broken just like the rest of the VA. Their main goal is to not pay you.

I thought that when the VA was opened up to the legal beagles light would shine on the system. I was wrong because the VA can and will stall a claim that has potential to open them up to major loss and sets a precedent. The VA has plenty of lawyers working for them at the BVA and the COVA. These guys have heard hundreds of cases. Many of the lawyers doing VA claims are pretty new. Most are SSDI lawyers and disability insurance lawyers who figured that this was an easy way to make more money. They did not figure on 10 year waits to get their 20%. The SSA is a much more rational system than the VA. Just look at your SSD file one day and compare it to the VA C-File. In SSD you are either totally disabled or not. The VA has all these levels of disability. So the answer is get a lawyer if you think you need one.