VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Back Pay.

Rate this question

Archer

Question

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.

Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?

Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?

My suggestion on what to do would be to pay all debt off, get 100% debt free.

Put 10-15 grand in an emergency only fund and don't touch it unless it is a real no other option emergency.

Learn to live debt free. Pay cash for needs. Be very careful not to classify WANTS as needs.

Always refrain from impulse buying for wants. Think about it for 30 days and see if it is still a want. Most of the time you will forget about it.

Take a little bit, go enjoy a nice vacation and get that out of your system.

When the pressure of credit payments are over your head, it can be a heavy weight. Paying cash for needs can save a whole lot of money and you can end up having much more using your money to pay for things instead of paying interest on things.

Just my opinion. I have been buried in debt before and am now debt free and man does it feel a lot better.

8k cash down to 4k due to paying bills off and getting house in valdosta ga to rent hmm new bills and stuff out of 3k a month im down to roughly 500 i can save. Thats until parents can get jobs then more round 1k a month...

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.

Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?

Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?

My retro payment took roughly a week to hit after the claim showed as closed in eBennies. My letter which I received about a week later said 15 days. I imagine it varies by VARO and the number of signatures required for the dollar amount.

I believe the information on eBennies get's updated when your VARO decides to get around to entering the data. My updates throughout the process of my claim usually showed up online between 5 and 6pm on Monday or Tuesday. I assume this was an overtime task for my VARO.

I personally don't believe anything eBenefits says when it comes to the projected dates work will be accomplished. In my experience as well as most others here, those dates are completely spurious and based on a system guess when specific gates are hit within their automated system.

If you're watching a "claim" within eBenefits, you're likely retired military and had to wait for DFAS to complete the pay audit before the VA will then redo its own pay math then pay you when that calculation is complete and approved. The problem is that the same people who rate and approve claims are the same people who calculate and approve retro payments. As one VSO told me once, their priority is paying the veteran something each month, then they get around to paying retro as the opportunity presents itself. It can be a long wait.

Keep an eye on the payment history in eBenefits. That should give you an idea if money has actually been queued up once the claim closes. Mine hit pretty fast once the process finally completed.

I hope the 1800 number is wrong. Told me that they can take up to a year before the claim is closed.

I have a back pay of around 61k coming to me.

I am not retired military but I am 100% service connected.

I have a question also bout what I should do when I get my back pay.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to me if I opened a secured credit card of 10k?
I have a very poor credit score at the moment for the time I left service till the day I got va was about 2 years.