VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssd And Va Nsc Pension

john999

• HadIt.com Elder

Can a vet get SSD and a NSC VA pension. A non Vietnam vet I know has Parkinson's. He is in bad shape. His wife can't work due to his need for help. He gets nothing from the VA. Somebody at the VA told him to file for SC for AO. He was in Okinawa. He has no direct evidence except his eyes that he had contact with AO. I see this case as hopeless almost. However, being that they are now dirt poor can he get a VA pension while collecting SSD. They are at their wits end. I am going to talk to them around 1pm to try and find out what mess has been created by VA helpers. His POA at the VA discouraged him from asking for A&A. I don't know why.

John

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is homeless or on the verge of being homeless get him in the hud-vash program as they can help with housing, food,medical care and help with qualifying for at least SSI..... Start at his local va medical center social work office....SSD will trump va pension

• HadIt.com Elder

The trouble is that he gets SSDI and his wife had to retire early and take SSA at age 62. They make too much for the pension. I talked to them both this afternoon. I was told that if he ends up in assisted living he can get A&A. They are living on the edge of poverty, but for help from friends and relatives. I know they are not getting more than $20,000 a year. This is not enough for two adults to live on and pay rent. They lost their house. She has no medical insurance and he does not even get medicare. Why do people like them have to be reduced to absolute poverty before the VA will help. He is trying now for VA compensation based on exposure to AO, but he was not in Nam or in one of the zones where DOD admits AO was used. He does have 20 other vets who were in Okinawa who swear they dug up drums of AO that had been buried there. He says he was exposed and I believe him, but how can he prove it? Some well known draft dodgers live in splendor, and some who served live in poverty. What a great country.