VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Un Closed Cases On Ebenefits

Rate this question

Endofrope

Question

I was in Ebenefits looking at my cases and I see that I have 2 unclosed cases from 2007. I can't see the forms but it shows I submitted them in 2007.

I currently have a FDC in process, what am I suppose to do about the Un closed cases? How do I get them settled and/oor information about them? Also do this mean that when they settled I would get back pay from those dates?

Thank you

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Don't trust ebenefits to always show the most accurate info. Some people have better luck than others

First, check documents/files you have in hand and see what you sent in 2007 and then see if you ever got a response about those cases.

You can always call 1-800-827-1000 and ask the representatives about the cases. They might be able to give you more details about the cases in question.

You also can request to review a copy of your C-File in person at the regional office. Reviewing the file helps you to see what they have and compare it to what you have. You can ask for a copy to be sent to you, but sometimes that can take months.

If you truly did file a claim a long time ago and the VA lost track of it, it could still be considered as being an open claim. If the claim is approved, you could get back pay if it resulted in an increase of your combined rating.

If they reviewed the claim and sent you a letter, they probably also included a page telling you that you need to respond in x number of days. If you never responded, they might have closed it out and you would lose the effective date. If you happened to have moved, but never informed the VA of a new address, you might be out of luck. If the VA sends you a letter, they assume you receive it, even if the post office delivered it to the neighbors by mistake. If you claim to have sent the VA a letter, unless you have proof of receipt by the VA, they assume you didn't send it. It is kind of unfair.

I hope you have good luck on your FDC and are able to figure out these two mystery cases.