VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

MarkInTexas

Question

I am wondering what is the best option, IME or an IMO, for wading through the VA's appellate process after a NOD has been filed?

Would it be wiser to go with a good quality IME examiner first, or just do an IMO with a records review, and then wait for the VA to decide to order any additional C&P's?

Part of me thinks that by going through a C&P process with DBQ's in obtaining an IME might be a time saver.

Thoughts or advice?

Mark

5 answers to this question

I totally agree with PR. An IMO definitely carries more weight if the same doctor performed the IME. I also believe an IMO and a IME from a doctor who has been treating you over a long period of time is even stronger.

Obviously you are better off having a doctor who specializes in treating your particular disease or condition provide your IMO rather than a general practitioner.

JMO.

Philip,

Thanks. I was kind of wondering that. If a veteran is going to spend a pretty good bit of money on something like this, I would hate to spend it, and then hit a wall if an IMO, even from a highly qualified physician, is rejected or not properly considered by the VA, for lack of an actual examination. I would also think that the examination itself serves as additional medical evidence toward the Veteran's favor on top of the language of the IMO that would be included.

I guess the next step would be that the VA might order a C&P examination based on the new evidence in a private IMO, which would then be conducted by a VA paid (or contracted) examiner, and then it looks like it's back to square one.

Again, I'm just guessing and trying to decide myself which would be wiser to invest. The IMO's are running around $1,500 - $2,000 (from what I have read on here), and IME's (with an IMO as well?) are running close to the same, depending on the doctor/clinic.

Anybody have any other thoughts or experiences of what has happened to them, or what lessons were learned? Thanks!

Mark

Thanks! I have an IMO from my oncologist of 16 years on my cancer condition and its service connection to a viral infection that occurred in service, but I have other conditions that I want addressed, plus two or three that the VA examiner noted in his C&P examination of me that the VA did not rate or add to my list of claimed conditions. I guess that part will be a whole new topic. (What to do when your VA examiner notes additional secondary conditions in a C&P examination.)

So I guess I need a good IME examiner, who does an outstanding IMO.

Mark

• HadIt.com Elder

The IMO should be part of the IME if you want the best chance. Your doctor does the exam and then writes an opinion for you with VA buzz words and format. I have seen some beautiful IME/IMO reports from the VA itself back a few years ago. I had one retired VA doctor do an IME/IMO for me. It was a thing of beauty and only cost $250. What a deal since I got p&t with that report. Good doctors are pure gold if they also understand how to write an IME/IMO. Many don't and many won't.

John

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use