VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Change To Depression

Rate this question

LarryYoung3

Question

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, but they need a C&P exam, to do it. It may also depend on how long you've had the diagnosis. If they're changing it depression, I foresee them eventually knocking you down to a SC zero award. I would fight it tooth and nail!!!

PTSD can't be cured but can be manageable. jmo

pr

LY3: My research (2008-2014) regarding primarily "AO Presumptives & PTSD", indicates only a Physician, VA or Private, can DX a medical or mental condition. The VRO that has your C-File uses the Dr provided DX DBQ to rate you according to the 38 CFR 4 regs per your diagnosed condition. The raters can't change your Dr's DX, they can only use the original C&P DBQ to determine your SC %.

With that said, if for some reason, a new claim or appeal is filed, they can review and possibly order another C&P exam for your PTSD. I personally and the 8 Nam PTSD Vets I meet with, have not had a VA demand for new PTSD C&P since 2010. I've had 3 additional claims filed, including IU, which was recently awarded at a 6/27/14, DRO "Informal Hearing." One guy filed a NOD, at the last month for filing his appeal, requesting a DRO of his 50% award. He and his VSO who actually file the NOD, neglected to request a "Personal Hearing." The Vet never supplied the "Mandatory New Evidence," he planned on presenting the evidence at his DRO Hearing, that he never got. Instead he received a DRO Claim Denial Letter and a "Statement of Case." Between the Vet and his VSO, they screwed the pooch! His only recourse is BVA Court, another 2+yrs or so, good luck with that!

Regarding your current PTSD rating, even if you showed vast improvement (per new DSM-5, GAF Scores don't carry the weight they used to) my understanding of the VA regulations regarding reduction in rating, you could only be cut to the next lower PTSD SC %. In essence, if your at 70% and a new DBQ shows improvement to what is a 30% rating, Highly unlikely if not impossible, you can only be reduced to 50%. If that were to happen (Unlikely) you immediately file a NOD requesting a personal hearing. You do the NOD yourself, too important to intrust to a 3rd party.

Good Luck

Semper Fi

Gastone

LY3: I forgot to mention the following. Get a copy of any and all PTSD C&P's from VAH Medical Record department. You will see exactly what the C&P Examiner stated on the PTSD DBQ. If you haven't already done so, review the 38 CFR 4 PTSD rating schedule, you'll be able to tell where you are. And keep in mind, "Depression" is a symptom of PTSD. If you received your PTSD rating since about 2010, You had to have had a Staff or Contract VA Psychiatrist or PHD Psychologist administer your initial and all subsequent PTSD C&P's. They may answer the DBQ differently, dependent on you medial records and your responses on the day of the exam, but their not going to reverse another VA Psch. MD diagnoses of PTSD, to just depression.

Before the recent adoption of DSM-5, an improved GAF score placed in your VA Medical Record, by a VA PTSD Social Worker or other mental health clinician, could be grounds for another PTSD C&P, if you filed a claim for anything. If the VA rater saw the improvement from say low 50's to mid or upper 60's, that could trigger another PTSD C&P. I think the Medical community and the VA realized that the same VET seen by 4 different clinicians, could get (4) different GAF scores, varying greatly in severity.

Gastone

I had a c&p which the examiner checked almost all boxes and rated me 100% total & social impairment. I am 50% ptsd now. My c&p indicates that I am worse however Ro says now that I am taking my meds I am doing better which is not true. Still hear voices with most 100% symtoms. It is very true that I am in depression mode.