VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rectal Cancer And Ibs

Rate this question

Nineteendelta

Question

Hello everyone, I need advice on submitting for SC and thank you in advance. First my background, I was in Southern Iraq (Camp Bucca) from Nov. 2006 to Oct. 2007. The first half of the tour we were tasked with route clearance. The second half we were tasked manning guard towers. During the time guarding the towers we were constantly breathing in odor from the sewage ponds and breathing in smoke from the open burn pits. The ponds and burn pits were no more than 200 yards from the towers we would man. The smoke was constant and made my eyes and nostrils sting while leaving a bad taste in my mouth. A lot of the times it would be black and thick. While at Bucca I was hospitalized with “acute gastroenteritis” and “acute renal failure” for three days. I was unable to keep anything down, coming out both ends. I am currently rated at 30% ptsd and 10% tinnitus. I had been complaining to my VA pcp about bloating, alternating constipation and diarrhea and she would say to talk to MH since it was probably due to my ptsd medication. When I talked to MH they would say it was not the ptsd medication because it would not cause alternating constipation and diarrhea (I should have pressed more). I finally gave up and went to a private doctor. They did a colonoscopy and found cancer in my rectum about a year ago (VA dropped the ball). All is well now except the sigmoidoscopy every three months. I have read that some vets have been getting cancer due to burn pits. Is it possible to claim rectal cancer for SC and would It be hard to prove or is it one of the presumptive GWS? I also wanted to put in for IBS since I still have alternating bloating, constipation and diarrhea. I have my medical record saying I was hospitalized for three days. My next question is if I applied for IBS, would VA say it is due to my cancer (if I put in for rectal cancer and was denied) and deny me SC? Has anyone had a similar situation? How should I move forward with this? To me it seems kinda messy. Any input is helpful.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'd recommend you go for it justified by the "unexplained" illness presumptive policy. Even if they try BS like saying it was due to your cancer, it is a presumptive illness and also you have evidence showing you were not only diagnosed but hospitalized in theater for gastro issues. I hope this helps you out.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp

VA presumes certain chronic, unexplained symptoms existing for 6 months or more are related to Gulf War service without regard to cause. These "presumptive" illnesses must have appeared during active duty in the Southwest Asia theater of military operations or by December 31, 2016, and be at least 10 percent disabling.

Functional gastrointestinal disorders, a group of conditions marked by chronic or recurrent symptoms related to any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Functional condition refers to an abnormal function of an organ, without a structural alteration in the tissues. Examples include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), functional dyspepsia, and functional abdominal pain syndrome. - See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp#sthash.SkRZV2Qq.dpuf

Functional gastrointestinal disorders, a group of conditions marked by chronic or recurrent symptoms related to any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Functional condition refers to an abnormal function of an organ, without a structural alteration in the tissues. Examples include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), functional dyspepsia, and functional abdominal pain syndrome.

Functional gastrointestinal disorders, a group of conditions marked by chronic or recurrent symptoms related to any part of the gastrointestinal tract. Functional condition refers to an abnormal function of an organ, without a structural alteration in the tissues. Examples include irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), functional dyspepsia, and functional abdominal pain syndrome. - See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/gulfwar/medically-unexplained-illness.asp#sthash.SkRZV2Qq.dpuf