VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Housing Grant

Hey all anyone here on the forum had trouble getting a contractor to do the adaptive housing grant to help with remodeling of the veterans home? I have had a rough time getting a contractor to follow up. Is it this hard for any of you veterans who have gotten approved for the grant to modify the house? Thanks for any advice or how it worked for others. Have a good morning

I have the grant and used it. Personally I had no problem getting the contractor to do the work and agreeing to go through the process. I found 3 contractors and each one gave me their bids so I submitted them to the VA and once approved then I chose the contractor to do the work. 3 months later my house was done with all the adaptations, I had no problems.

Edited by jefmil50

The VA approved me to have updates done to home along with putting in a deep tub, but this whole process was overwhelming for my wife and I. Therefore we have not even attempted the process. Just too much going on with help and current claim, to deal with this at this time. Good luck

Thanks I think in my area it is just the fact some of the contractors have to pay taxes on the money and be accountable to inspections. Some just do not want the paperwork I have drawn out the proposed plans and attached VA form 26-13 with all the contact information. Also I have to build onto my current house it is way too small to loose a bed room for a bathroom. I thank you all for your thoughts. It is just going to take longer than I thought.

Just 1 thing though that I have come across when speaking with other veterans. A lot have used the whole amount of the grant to pay for their home and have nothing left to use later. You need to leave some of the grant left over, like 2 0r 3 thousand dollars because the grant goes up every year plus cola adjustments. If you have nothing left then you will lose out, you can use the grant 3 times and if nothing is left to adjust from then you lose out. I was told that from my VA SAH agent that went over with everything for me. Good luck, overall I was very pleased surprised with the process and how easy it went with the VA.