VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc (T) For Tbi

Rate this question

crazyhorse3022

Question

Jus curious if vets are aware of the new smc t rating for tbi n residuals. It seems like some arent. I just learned about it. I'm awaiting a decision by the va. I've read requirements for t rating. Seem justifiable but I know the va doesn't want to pay vets at that rate. It's 7900 a month. Funny my psychiatrist from the va told me the va doesn't want to pay the t rate. Amazing. I've seen him.for 7 yrs. He's a decent dude tho. He did my 21-2680.

I never of this benefit before as I have been service connected for TBI as well but I have a 0% rating. I received 50% from headaches but it was rated separate from the TBI! I will look into this to see if I qualify for this benefit. Thanks for the info.

I have 100% TBI + SMC S and am in the process of being assigned a fiduciary because I can't handle my own finances.

When I left the Martinez TBI clinic after a month of assessments and tests, the head psych said that without my cargiver assisting me on a daily basis, I would need assisted living and said he'd help me get A&A. However, the staff stated that since I served during peacetime and am not missing any limbs, I was not eligible. They are used to the A&A given as a pension and not at all familiar with SMC T, which is given as compensaion and has different eligibility standards. Although the fast letter for it was created in 2013, it is still so new that most people haven't heard of it.

In Jan my VSO told me about the SMC T raitng and said I should be eligible because my poor short term memory and cognitive decline require that I have supervision for meds, meals, scheduling and everything I do outside my apartment. I fit the eligibility profile well, but now that I'm out of the TBI clinic (which is 2 hours away) getting the dr to fill out the form 21-2680 has been impossible! It is also recommended that the dr write up a detailed report stating that I will need to be in assisted living without daily in home care. I've sent an email with speicifc information and the form 5 weeks ago....And he has not done anything! Each week the dr's assistant states the dr is "Very busy, but working on it". My caregiver sent another email, this time through MyHealthevet because the dr supposedly HAS to respond within 3 days. Nothing. Today we went to a patient advocate, who is unfamiliar with the SMC T rating and this form of A&A, but put a note in the system to the dr and his assistant that we are anxiously waiting for the papers to be completed. So, at least there is something on record. Any ideas on what else we can do to get the doc moving? We've never had such a hard time communicating with a doctor!

Crazy Horse, you are the only vet we've come across who has even started the process for an A&A for TBI claim. How long has it been and what has happened since you submitted the 21-2680?

I have a Nod in and am having a dro decide. My psychiatrist did my 21-2680. I'm hoping I get the smc (t) rate. I have a tbi rating with residuals from getting shot in my grape. Bottom line is many va doctors don't want to write it up when they know a vet rates it.