VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc (T) For Tbi

Rate this question

crazyhorse3022

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I am 100% P&T for a variety of conditions (40% TBI, 50% migraines, 50% PTSD, and knee bilateral 20%, etc). My TBI rating should be much higher than 40% but I was always afraid to protest it or try for a higher rating because I have already been awarded 100% P&T so there was no need for me to protest it and I didn’t want to take the risk of getting a other conditions evaluated and rated lower like knee etc. 

but then I just learned about SMC (T) and I believe I am qualified. I cannot manage my finances, I have memory loss and gave to keep a journal, my mother has to care for me to help with preparing meals, my mother has to manage my finances for me, she has to help me with using the bathroom etc.  This is all from my gradual loss of cognitive function over the years since I had multiple TBI’s in 2012 and 2013. I was honorably discharged from the Marines in 2014 and was awarded 100% temporary, which was converted to 100% P&T in 2021. I still have a job though so I am not housebound, but I do require aid and assistance by a family member at home most days, I still have a job while being 100% P&T. 

Would I qualify for SMC(T)?  Is there a risk of other conditions (like knee etc) being reviewed for a new C&P if I file a claim for SMC(T) even if I am already 100% P&T?

On 4/5/2015 at 10:54 PM, crazyhorse3022 said:

Anyone receiving smc for tbi n residuals.

Good chance they won't be replying if they are.  Maybe someone knows someone with it.  It's not an easy claim to be granted.  And those with it, would gladly give it up to lead a somewhat normal life.

• HadIt.com Elder

Someone define SMC "T".  If a vet has cognitive issues I think the fact that you are able to work is going to be a problem.  I think maybe you should get a vet lawyer, USMCVet.  You have lots of issues that should be addressed.  Do you work from home? If not I don't see how you can get housebound. I know where there is a will there is a way.  Is your mother your Caregiver?  You and she should be getting paid for that.  If you file claims I think you have to think about the fact you still work.  I think the VA will say "If he can work his cognitive issues can't be that bad".  This is just my guess.

SMC R-2 and T are equal awards and pay the same. R-2 requires loss of use of two limbs. If you can't qualify for R-2 then with a TBI you might qualify for SMC T. I would venture to say that nobody has ever been awarded SMC T who can still work. When you get into SMC R-2 and T you are talking some really serious stuff, if not someone who is a vegetable.

I qualify for R-2 but I have loss of use of four limbs and I have four separate and distinct 100% P&T awards along with many lesser awards. Like John said, I doubt that you would qualify for housebound or A&A.

Go to the BVA search engine and type into the search box SMC T granted. There you can see what it takes to be considered for the T award. Then if you still think that you meet the qualifications, by all means, go for it!

On 12/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, El Train said:

Good chance they won't be replying if they are.  Maybe someone knows someone with it.  It's not an easy claim to be granted.  And those with it, would gladly give it up to lead a somewhat normal life.

Amen to that. So true. I'm not SMC T but I'd give it up in a heartbeat. If there were a cure tomorrow for sure I would. I just found out my wife keeps pad with a list of actions and personality and problems  and im embarassed now and I see why she's always scared or sad for me. Now there is more guilt.