VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Fibromyalgia Cause Occipital Neuralgia (Headaches)

Rate this question

freedomisntfree

Question

Does anyone know if fibromyalgia can be a cause or associated with occipital neuralgia? I didn't know I had occipital neuralgia I just thought it was migraine headaches or tension headaches. I started receiving acupuncture and have some post stuck in my ears to block pain, anxiety, nightmares and so forth. Have been on multiple medications throughout the years with little success. Now I have ventured down the road with acupuncture and have been scheduled for Botox. I was planning on filing a claim for migraines/headaches related to fibromyalgia but now after reading the notes from my last two treatments I question the validity of my claim and if the two would be symptomatic of each other. Fibromyalgia and Occipital neuralgia. The headache is a headache either way you look at it but could or could not be related.

Anyone have any experience in this area or know of the two to have a comparison that might substantiate the claim?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

What is your SC rating for fibromyalgia?

Were headaches considered as part of your award if it was at 40%?

I could not find anything at the BVA or on any medical sites as to a potential cause of occipital neuralgia as due to fibromyalgia and I also checked a few drugs sites, as I thought maybe fibro meds could cause to occipital disability.

But couldnt find anything in that regard either.

However ,if you seek an IMO/IME, it is possible that a doctor with expertise in Fibro or the occipital neuralgia might well prepare a strong medical rationale for the link.

Nothing is impossible!

Berta,

I am 90% overall and 40% fibromyalgia.

I have been treated for years for migraines/headaches. Always assumed they were part of the fibromyalgia problems. I have even started gathering documentation on it. Until recently I started acupuncture for the headaches and after two treatments I read in my records I have occipital neuralgia. This was a first since from what I have read it is cause by a traumatic injury to the base of the neck or muscle damage or spasms. I was thinking that since the doctor providing acupuncture was also reducing the pain in my back in between my shoulder blades and my neck then that was a good connection between fibromyalgia and occipital neuralgia. Those areas are problems of my fibromyalgia but they are only under tension and pain. I haven't damaged them traumatically.

I feel you will need an IMO to connect those dots and to explain to the VA that these are not migraines due to the fibro, but an entirely different disability,due to the fibro.

Are you still employed? If not have you considered filing for TDIU?

Is it possible there could be a relationship between the occipital neuralgia and the additional SC disabiilty you have?

Berta,

I feel it is from the constant strain and tension from my fibromyalgia but I do have 20% SC for a shoulder injury where I was thrown off my bike on my head and shoulder causing a 3rd degree AC cup separation. That happened in 96 or 97 but I have had headaches before that. I don't know maybe it did cause additional problems. I don't know?

I'm not sure about your original question, but you can get SCed for headaches secondary to Fibromyalgia. Even though it is a symptom of fibromyalgia, I have seen several cases that people were awarded separately for headaches secondary to fibromyalgia. Its weird they say getting rated for gerd and IBS is pyramiding, but Fibromyalgia and headaches is not considered pyramiding. Just thought this information might help.