VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Icd Codes On Va Form 21-0960N-1 (Disability Benefits Questionnaire)

Rate this question

formermo

Question

On the Disability Benefits Questionnaire for my Doctor to complete (VA Form 21-0960N-1) (DBQ).

It says select the veterans condition and then it has ICD code & Date of diagnosis.

Is this the ICD code (Diag. Code) from my physician's statements?

Can I submit to VA a copy of the physician's billing statement that has the diag. code on it along with a table of the explanation of the ICD CODE?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Where do I find the Diagnostic code the VA uses to determine my benefits? Do I submit these codes on my application for my service connected disability?

The Va is likely uninterested in your medical bills.

You need 3 things for service connection:

1. Current diagnosis

2. In service event or aggravation

3. Nexus between the two above.

As far as the diagnosis goes, or the code, you can provide to your doc a private physician's diagnosis, if you like, but the VA doc may or may not agree with his diagnosis.

However, Im thinking it may be in your best interest to not "merge" the VA doc and private doc statments.

Instead, first see if your VA doc will provide you with what you need, the 3 things above.

If he does not, or if its unfavorable, then an IMO/IME (your private physician, if you like) can be submitted to rebut the unfavorable exam.

In a similar way, you can submit an IME/IMO if your VA doc does not provide ALL your symptoms, that is, you think the private doc did a better job identifying your symptoms than the VA doc.

After you become service connected, then you move to the degree or disability percentage.

Thanks so very much to ALL who have taken the time to provide your answer to my question.

I will go to the web pages that have been provided and check out the information.

Thanks again,

Don

formermo, Here are the diagnostic codes the VA uses: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=e8c2e89e2bcff3ac771852a410b6c3ad&mc=true&node=sp38.1.4.b&rgn=div6

Go to :

Subpart B—Disability Ratings

Near the bottom of each group is: Schedule of ratings - (then the group name)

Click on the "Schedule of ratings" for that particular group and you will see the diagnostic codes.

You do not submit these codes.

Hope this helps